Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost all icons/backround/taskbar

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OttMD

OttMD

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:56 PM

Hello everyone! Hopefully someone here will be able to help me with this. Yesterday evening my wife's laptop all of a sudden lost all icons, the backround, and the taskbar. She has Windows 7 Home premium 32-bit. The laptop is about a year old, with very little on it. (used for classes) I have so far tried a few pieces of advice found on other boards, but to no avail. I've tried looking for explorer.exe in the task manager, (to end and restart). I've tried running a small script to end explorer.exe, and finally i've tried copying a healthy version of windows explorer from my pc over to hers via a jump drive. This last attempt resulted in the near immediate removal of said explorer, and an auditory blip. The sound has been repeating now for about 30 minutes every few seconds or so. I've since turned the damn thing off.

Any advice would be of great help. Thanks!

Edited by Orange Blossom, 01 November 2010 - 10:44 PM.
Move to AII for initial assistance. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:03 AM

Can we run the SFC /SCANNOW Command ?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 OttMD

OttMD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:51 PM

In fact I was tipped off to that command late last night, and it did fix the problem. I had to go into work early today, otherwise I would have posted before now. (just got home) But I do appreciate the quick response to my problem, and my wife does too. I have since recommended this site to a number of co-workers, and will continue to do so.

Unless there is something else you would advise me to do, I am going to consider this problem resolved.

Thank you so much!

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:32 PM

Nope,all's good now :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users