Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Host download not working

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ntrouble

ntrouble

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:32 PM

I'm trying to make sure I'm completely rid of the Smart Engine virus on my Vista. #18 of instuctions says to delete C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\HOSTS file and replace it. When I click on link, it won't download from bleepingcompter, and when trying to save it on C drive, it says: This file is set to read-only. Try again with a different file name. "Hosts" is not on my C drive. lmhosts.sam is on my C drive. But aren't they different files? Can anyone offer the solution to these problems? I would greatly appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dodes

dodes

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:07 AM

Well, here's a reference for how the default hosts file should look:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

The hosts file may actually be there:
Start > Run > control folders and press enter.
Under the View tab, make sure:
Show hidden files, folders, and drives is selected,
Hide extensions for known file types is cleared, and
Hide protected operating system files is cleared.

Alternatively:
Start menu > Run > cmd.exe
cd %windir%\system32\drivers\etc
dir

Look for "hosts" in the output.

It may be necessary to take control of the hosts file manually in order to be able to delete or edit it:

Start > Run > cmd.exe
cd %windir%\system32\drivers\etc
takeown /f %windir%\system32\drivers\etc
takeown /f hosts
cacls %windir%\system32\drivers\etc /p administrators:f
cacls hosts /p administrators:f

and at this point you should either be able to edit it back to its default values by dragging the hosts file onto an open notepad window (created with admin privileges), or:
del hosts

Once it's deleted, you can try to create a new hosts file in notepad, but when you save it make sure you don't append an extension after the filename (just hosts, not hosts.txt)
You may have difficulty saving the newly created hosts file directly into the /etc folder, so instead try to save the file onto your desktop and drag the file into the /etc folder.
Be aware that it may prove exceptionally difficult to do anything to the hosts file if your system contains further infections. Your system may still be infected with residual infections if the hosts file seems invincible.

Edited by dodes, 02 November 2010 - 04:09 AM.

Windows 7 Pro x64
Biostar TH55B-HD
WD Corsair Black 500GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
G-Skill 2x2GB 1066 DDR3 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users