Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive capacity/ free space

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 macdadluke23

macdadluke23

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:26 PM

I have a seagate baracuda 1.5 tb hard drive and i have been saving files onto that hard drive for awhile but now when i try to save a file my computer freezes/ locks up. Now my hard drive has about 350gb of free space so i know i have plenty of room. My question is is there a good prgram to see if my hard drive is damage and see if it can do a chkdsk type to repair the bad sectors. I did chkdsk in cmd but the problem is it freezes when it is scanning in step 4. I have windows vista home premium.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:30 PM

When you say freezes, exactly what does it do? How long have you let step 4 run. Large drives can take quit some time to complete. The larger, the longer.

#3 macdadluke23

macdadluke23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:49 PM

When you copy a file a a green progress bar pops up it stops at 1/4 of the way and then nothing happens when i try to cancel it freezes. With the chkdsk i let it run for 22hrs and it stays at step 4

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:55 PM

Wow. That is excessive.

I would download the Seagate hard drive diagnostic tool and follow the instructions for running the test.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:43 PM

You might want to back up the data on that drive somehow in case it is failing.
I agree with Thunderz. Run the hard drive diag tool
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:10 PM

You might want to back up the data on that drive somehow in case it is failing.

:thumbsup:
If it will let him.

#7 macdadluke23

macdadluke23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:48 PM

I did use the seagate tool but the tool seems it does not want to work with windows vista it keeps on saying stxcon.exe has stopped working thats why i wondering if there is another tool out there because i cant get seagate tool to work

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:03 PM

I would download the Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image. Follow the directions on the site for burning as an .iso and testing. There is also a PDF document with further information on using it.

#9 macdadluke23

macdadluke23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:49 AM

i ran the seagate tool in dos and the hard drive passed both short and long test. The only thing i saw was that Smart was disable not sure if i need to enable this. Other than that i cannot save files onto the hard drive even though i have 350gb left of free space

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:00 PM

Good. We can pretty safely assume the hard drive is ok. When SMART is supported by a hard drive then it must also be supported by the mobo. You will need to enter the BIOS. If the mobo does support it then you will need to enable it there. BIOS interfaces differ from one BIOS writer to another. Even from PC to PC. Can not tell you exactly what to look for in the BIOS other then a reference to SMART > enable\disable.

Regarding not being able to copy files. My first suggestion is that perhaps the drive is formatted in FAT\FAT32 not NTFS. If you right click on the drive then select Properties it will tell you.
Another easy attempt at a fix is to transfer all you data off the drive. Then reformat it in NTFS. See if that makes a difference.

I`m sure you already know, but DO NOT format the drive before transferring the data off of it.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:03 PM

After reading this thread, I'm beginning to lean toward a different issue here.

Your computer ran the hard drive diagnostic tools from a boot disk with no errors or problems.

However it crashed while running it while Windows was running.

There seems to be an issue here that is not directly hard drive related.

We should now be looking at possible heat related issues or perhaps a setting in the BIOS related to whether the hard drive is set to PIO mode or UDMA mode. PIO is slower and UDMA is quicker and better. So the BIOS should be checked for these settings.

These settings would be found in the BIOS where the hard drives are listed.
Such as PRIMARY MASTER. Choosing the drive can display some options in another pop up menu.
Make sure UDMA is set to a number higher than 4. PIO should be 0 (Zero).

If heat is an issue here, the processor could be the culprit.
When was the last time this computer was checked for dust accumulation?
When was the last time it was cleaned out?

You can download two programs that will help you diagnose heat related issues.
I will include links to the programs download pages here.

HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

SpeedFan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

If you use either program and notice the temperatures are a little hot, this is a clear indicator your computer is freezing do to heat and the time has come to do a thorough cleaning.

We may be looking at your RAM as an issue also, however, I prefer not to try to add too much to the list of possibilities until we cover the possibilities that I have already listed.

As for SMART, this is a hard drive's communication program that sends a message to the motherboard that hard drive failure is just around the corner.

This option can be be found in the same way I mentioned above to see if your hard drive is set to PIO or UDMA mode.

The PRIMARY MASTER should have a pop up menu with the option to enable the SMART feature.

Please keep us updated, so we can continue offering possible solutions.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 02 November 2010 - 12:10 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#12 macdadluke23

macdadluke23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:02 PM

:thumbsup: Hey Bruce i try to go in bios and find the UMDA/PIO but it is not listed as an option on my hard drive the only option i can change is "Extended IDE DRive" and "Access Mode" which both are selected as Auto. THen the rest is the capacity, cylinder, head, and landing zone sector of the hard drive. Also Bruce it seems I cannot copy after a certain point is reached on the hard drive. For example I moved about 20gb of data to a different hard drive then moved it back to the original hard drive seems it did it ok but when i add more files to the hard drive it will not let me though it says i have 350gb of free space

Edited by macdadluke23, 03 November 2010 - 10:10 AM.

#13 macdadluke23

macdadluke23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:24 PM

Also my Bios is phoenix Awardbios :thumbsup:

Edited by macdadluke23, 03 November 2010 - 10:10 AM.

#14 macdadluke23

macdadluke23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:40 PM

Also I notice something i have exactly 1tb of data stored on that drive even though i have 350gb of free space. Is it possible that my computer is only allowing 1tb of data to be store on the drive at one time because it seems that after 1tb i am not allow to add data :thumbsup:

Edited by macdadluke23, 03 November 2010 - 10:11 AM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:32 AM

<<I did chkdsk in cmd but the problem is it freezes when it is scanning in step 4...>>

No error message?

Chkdsk will often appear to freeze...it's just having a hard time with whatever is wrong.

What error messages are in Event Viewer...regarding either the drive or the file system?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html

Problems with the file system...will not be discovered by running a hard drive diagnostic...but chkdsk will usually generate an error message when confronted with such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users