Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A little much?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cryog

Cryog

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:47 AM

A few of these seem to do the same things, so I'd like to get some input.
I don't do any online banking, save any personal/website passwords & seldom use auction sites anymore. My Q is ... is this overdoing it just a little? And if so, what should I keep & what should I remove?

Auslogics Disk Defrag
Auslogics Registry Cleaner
EnhanceMySe7en
Glary Utilities
Internet Eraser
TweakNow PowerPack 2010

These are non-installs; meaning I didn't have to install them, just unzip & move them to a folder on my comfuser.
Piriform CCleaner
Piriform Defraggler
Easy Cleaner
Eraser
Ultimate Windows Tweaker

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:57 AM

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results". Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:53 PM

Personally I would uninstall all of them but keep CCleaner and only run the cleaner, not the registry portion.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:27 AM

I second that. Tweakers, boosters, and erasers generally don't do a great deal to improve a machine. I run Ccleaner at rare intervals and for a reason, gingerly. Auslogics defrag isn't bad and might do a faster job than Windows, but running more than one isn't wise because they all tend to put things in slightly different places depending on how the program was written.

#5 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:51 AM

Hi Cryog,

As it happens with most software tools, having more than what you need is not better. Conflicts are guaranteed to happen and sometimes nasty ones.
I totally agree with all the replies above and would also recommend to keep CCleaner and Auslogics DiskDefrag. As for the registry, if anything, the benefits you're pursuing by using a registry cleaner will be found in CCleaner as well, so don't worry about getting anything else (dc3 is right, 'highly overrated and can be dangerous' to use these registry cleaners).

There's another little tool that I would definitely advise you to have along-side with whatever security suite you may have, which is Malwarebytes. You may be thinking that I'm contradicting myself, but the fact of the matter is that Malwarebytes is, if anything, a complementary tool not a replacement; and it is quite powerful, succeeding where renowned Security Suites fail.

These three tools are on my every computer, they're an absolute must, that's why I thought I'd give my insight on this as well.

Kind regards

micksim
| A+ | Net+ | MCDST | MCITP |

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users