Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reporting on Virtual Box and mac os 10.6.4

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:47 AM

VirtualBox is an amazing program. It installed easily and didn't ask me any questions I didn't know the answers from reading the manual. The networking apparently set itself up as both winxp and Word activated on installation w/out any problem. I haven't tried updating - I'm going to try running winxp sp2 w/out updates since my browsing will be done on the host. So far I haven't noticed any freezes or crashes, but in Library\Logs\Crash & Diagnostic Reports there are 6 reports of crashes.

The manual is a bit difficult to read for beginners - it would be nice if someone would write a manual for dummies.

To access a folder on your "real" or "bare-metal" computer from w/in the VM [called shared folders], share the clipboard and more easily share the mouse you have to install something called "guest additions" That also went easily, altho I had to reinstall today because the shared clipboard stopped working - that fixed it. Reinstalling guest additions is easy because it's an option on the menu bar.

I have Word options set to save docs in the shared folder. So I just backup from my Documents folder. One problem w/ the clipboard is that it only copies text, not graphics. There's a new version of VirtualBox available [v3.2.10] I haven't tried 'cause I just got this one [3.2.8] installed but I'm hoping eventually they'll add graphics to shared clipboard.

I had problems w/ Word 2002. I copied the normal.dot and my notes.dot w/ all my macros/toolbar customization to docs&settings\app\microsoft\templates but my macros & toolbars didn't show up altho the margins and header/footer in notes.dot did. So I started redoing my toolbars and adding macros and today altho my Custom1 toolbar was listed and checked - it was missing its buttons. My macros were still there. That may just be Word 2002 - it was always crashing and glitching. Word 2003 seems more stable but I only have one legal copy of it so 2002 went on the VM.

I also installed my Russian Language learning program into the winxp vm since mac os x wouldn't install it since it required the "classic environment". Using it requires using the dvd drive - you just check the drive listed under devices and you have access to the dvd. To release the drive from the VM you just uncheck it. Some of the sound was wobbly - I think that was the DVD itself since there was no apparent problem w/ the winxp or word installation cds.

I haven't tried using anything usb other than my mouse. They are listed under Devices on the menu bar and I think you just check or uncheck them. You have to be careful w/ usb external drives - I'm not sure if you dismount them in the host if they'd still be listed under devices. I'll have to try one and see. You wouldn't want to add them to the VM until until you'd properly dismounted them from the mac first and you'd want to remove them from winxp before releasing them via Devices.

I'm hoping that Office 2011 for mac will let me do my toolbars/macros so I can just run Word on the mac. PageManager for mac, however, does not have the deskew option that PageManager for windows does. I also couldn't get it to save a 2 stacked page document as a pdf plus it tended to crash. So I'll need to run PaperPort in the VM and hope that I can access the scanner from w/in PP w/in the VM. That's the next thing I'll try.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users