Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems installing Win7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bobang

Bobang

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:30 AM

Hi Folks,

Have a strange problem on loading Windows 7 Ultimate on my friends system with Vista Hm Prm preinstalled on it. It has 2 partitions on it - Acer C: 346 GB and DATA D: 344 GB. The partition D: had a Temp file on it which was empty so I deleted it well before starting.

System was preset to start from WD hard disk. On restarting the system with the image DVD I changed the setting by pressing F12 and in the BIOS chose the ATAPI DVD as the location to Boot from. So the installation went ahead as expected. On finally being asked choose the preferred options I chose Advanced and formatted the empty partition and then installed Win 7. The installation went on smoothly and started again showing both system/start options (Windows 7 and Vista) briefly and started windows 7 again and eventually configured the files and started, this time displayed again all the system/start options like before. This time it asked for the user settings etc.finished. It wanted to restart, but no options came up any more: simply nothing happened!

The screen was blank (black) with the cursor blinking on it. I waited hoping the system would come up eventually, and after 20 agonizing minutes pressed CTRL+ALT+DEL and came back to the Acer start screen where I chose the option to start from the hard disk and restarted the system. Same thing again, simply cursor blinking on a black screen. The option WD is not responding at all.

Again restarted and chose to start from the DVD and it offered to install win 7, so I repeated the whole procedure. Exactly, like the first time the system just does not start any system on any one of the partitions after completing the installation!

During the restarts it does show both the systems as available with windows7 marked as default during the count down. But when I start the system from scratch nothing happens..

As of now when I start afresh the Acer screen up showing DEL: ENTER SETUP F12: BOOT Menu, but does not react and does not offer the options to change the starting device. It goes off and then the back to black screen with the cursor blinking

Any idea what went wrong or how to at least get back to the original system which was Vista and working fine so that I can make a backup and start all over.. or simply fix what is wrong..

SOS,

Bobang

Bobang

in all things be men

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:12 PM

The computer is probably not Windows 7 Compatible. I would have checked for system compatibility prior to installing Windows 7.

#3 Bobang

Bobang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for your input, but that doesn't really help me in any way.

I really don't think the computer is not compatible with windows 7. The machine is an ACER Aspire M5630 with an Intel Quad Core 2 processor, 3 GB RAM, 750 GB HD. ATI Graphics with its own memory. I have Win 7 on a 6 year old machine with less pep. This one is just over 2 years old.

Any idea how to uninstall windows7, so that I can get Vista to boot as its booting the computer that's gone south..

I tried repairing it with Vista RE DVD and also tried to run repairs with Window 7 DVD, but both show no errors, but still can't boot..

Bobang

in all things be men

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:50 PM

You will have to activate the recovery partition via hitting the keys.

I have had laptops that were only built for 1 OS, and that was the OS that came with it.

You have to take into consideration that EOM's like to put in low quality parts where drivers are scarce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users