Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Guard Malfunction

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 23 November 2005 - 01:23 AM

Does anyone have any ideas on this. Have SG 2.2 installed. Had problem with disappearing icon in system tray,which I can now work around. I end both processes in order shown,then right click on desktop icon and the systray returns. The 2 processes are running in Task mgr. (sgmain.exe & sgbhp.exe)
Now when I open SG from the tray it opens but there is no text displayed.

Posted Image
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 23 November 2005 - 01:34 AM

Have you tried a reinstall?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2005 - 01:46 AM

Well I must have several times ,but i'll do it again as I haven't since I got it back in the systray.
Thanx
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2005 - 11:18 AM

Ok have un and reinstalled to the same effect...I have a post at the javacool site and am awaiting a response from them also. Seems I'm not alone with no answer.. Will let you know what they say..
But will welcome any more suggestions.
Happy Thanksgiving.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2005 - 01:42 PM

Never seen, or heard of this before, boopme.
Will be interesting to hear what javacool has to say about this.

Edited by tg1911, 23 November 2005 - 01:42 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2005 - 03:27 PM

I got text now but I don't think it's right. This is what some comedian sent me as a fix. It is funny tho.
I will get afix . I am determined to post it here at BC..

Posted Image

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2005 - 11:01 PM

Ok I got it half solved. I can get the text back. :thumbsup: Still can't get the SG icon to stay in the System tray tho. :flowers: I run an app called Windowblinds by M$. It adds visual styles to Windows. i've run it for 3 years and I like it. Well any way I decided to unload it as it could be the only thing left thet alters my display. Sure enough Ta Da,we got text. Don't understand why as it doesn't affect Spywareblaster or EULAlyzer. Both Javacool prods. Will contact both with this info.

http://www.stardock.com/products/windowblinds/

But still have the icon problem. There is no way to open the app without the icon in the systray and that means reinstalling it to get to the icon back. Task mgr shows it is running tho even with out th icon. The 2 desktop icons it creates are there but only the update one reacts. :trumpet:

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2005 - 03:20 PM

Does anyone else run WindowsBlinds on there PC. With XP SP2 and spywareblaster and Spyware Guard. If so does SG display properly for you?
I'm feeling kinda alone on this. :thumbsup:

Edited by boopme, 25 November 2005 - 03:21 PM.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 12:58 AM

Never seen, or heard of this before, boopme.
Will be interesting to hear what javacool has to say about this.

Well a bit of an update. Javacool has no response. But Stardock ( the makers of WindowsBlinds)

http://www.stardock.com/

replied and we've determined that the problem only occurs with the 'blackcomb' skin. Why as yet isn't determined.

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:45 AM

Interesting.
Only occurs with one skin.
Is that the skin you were using?
Did a reinstall of SG help?

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 12:32 PM

Yes of all the skins the one I liked best is the problem. Wouldn't have expected it any other way. Blackcomb, has 4 variants of which none work.
I reinsatlled and reconfigured with every skin, to see if it were conditional, but only the one fails. I've also tried changeing the basic windows display background setting to non white and no good.

Does any one else use SG? Do you have any problem with display of Black comb.
Also do you have to do the Task Manager Disable/ restart SG to get the icon in the tray,so you can open the program?

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 09:28 PM

Hello tg1911 , the creator of that skin who is also one of the programs developers contacted me. We are exchanging any info I have and he's looking at it,as he was very interested in a solution. I think we'll have a solution soon.

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 09:36 PM

Good news, boopme.
Hopefully, he'll be able to come up with a solution.

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 12:48 PM

Well something is at least in the works now. I did send this along to Javacool,but they do not have a direct support link, only anotjer foum. But they did reply. The first reply is from the devoloper of WindowBlinds and the second is from the Javacool forom moderator.

This is the forum link

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=108018
----------------------

Hi Peter,

The problem that you are experiencing is due to Spywareguard's use of the button text colour for text on those parts of their windows without using the appropriate background. As you can see on other windows, Blackcomb uses white text for buttons, with a blue background. The problem is that Spywareguard is ignoring this background colour, assuming that the button text is dark, and always forcing a white background. This causes the text to be white on white, and thus invisible.

It is not necessary to use WindowBlinds to see this problem. If you set the Windows Classic theme, and then go into Display Properties/Appearance and click the Advanced button, you will be able to edit the system colours. Click the OK text on the button in the preview, change the lower (text) colour from black to white, and then press the real OK button and apply, and you should see the text disappear from Spywareguard.

Thank you for making us aware of this problem. I will drop a note to Javasoft - I suggest you also forward them this mail let them know that this is the cause of your problem. For now, I suggest you use other skins, or edit Blackcomb to have a slightly different button text colour.

To edit the skin requires SkinStudio to be installed - click "Edit in Skinstudio" on the WindowBlinds Configuration dialog, click "Miscellaneous/Colours" on the left, then "3D controls/Text - System Button" on the right, and change the colour as desired; then save the skin and press Shift+F9 to apply it (or "Apply changes" from WindowBlinds).

I hope this answers your question. If there is anything else we can help you with, let us know.

Best regards,

----
Laurence Parry
Stardock Development

Ticket Details
Ticket ID: NMY-767887
Department: Developers - Object Desktop
Priority: Low
-----------------------------

I have merged your thread into the thread concerning this matter and the one you linked to given the fact there is no need to have a separate thread from what the user has already posted. I chose to do it this way instead of closing your thread in case some of the info you shared might be useful to Javacool the programmer.

Regards,
Bubba

#15 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 02:04 PM

Yeah, white on white would be hard to read. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users