Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM Compatibility

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Eamonn

Paul Eamonn

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:49 AM

Hi

Can someone please tell me if I can take the RAM out of Computer 1 and put it into the two spare slots in Computer 2?

Computer 1

Computer 2

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Paul Eamonn.
Regards

Paul Eamonn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:14 PM

Yes, you can...but I would not run the module in your first lot on #1. It's slower than all the other modules and will reduce the speed of the RAM. Look at the stated frequencies for each.

http://www.satech.com/hys64d32000gu-7-b.html

That module is PC2100, while all others are PC3200...with PC3200 being the faster.

Louis

#3 Paul Eamonn

Paul Eamonn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:26 AM

Hi Louis - many thanks for your reply.

I can see what you're saying about the frequencies and, inspite of there being an extra 256mb, the fact that the frequency is lower will make it all run slower?

This memory stuff is confusing!

Regards

Paul Eamonn

Edited by Paul Eamonn, 02 November 2010 - 03:31 AM.

Regards

Paul Eamonn

#4 Paul Eamonn

Paul Eamonn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:17 AM

So would this one be Ok to put into Computer 2 instead of the PC2300 one?

RAM

And then would a couple of these fit into Computer 1?

More RAM

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Paul Eamonn

Edited by Paul Eamonn, 02 November 2010 - 12:19 PM.

Regards

Paul Eamonn

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:09 PM

The combined RAM modules in any system, assuming that they are compatible modules...will always run at the speed of the slowest module installed.

Louis

#6 Paul Eamonn

Paul Eamonn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:19 PM

Thanks for that Louis. So, looking again at the output for Computer 1, it is actually running at 256/PC2300 as opposed to a combined speed of (256/PC2300+512/PC3200)/2 - if you see what I mean!

So it would likely run a lot faster with just one of the 1GB sticks in it. Am I right?

Can you give me an opinion on my other post regarding compatibility please (post #4). The two 1GB sticks are ending soon. I've already bought the 512mb stick. I do hope it will be Ok.

Many thanks.

Regards

Paul Eamonn

Edited by Paul Eamonn, 02 November 2010 - 01:30 PM.

Regards

Paul Eamonn

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:49 PM

Well...I cannot give an opinion on anything bought on eBay...since I do not suggest that to anyone.

I believe in buying RAM from a reputable seller with warranty provisions that I can count on...I have never had that feeling for items sold/advertised on eBay.

Some of those modules sold on eBay are refurbished...which means that someone already had a problem with them.

Others here have experience with that and their opinions would be much better than mine.

The one other thing that one has to consider when dealing with PC3200...is the fact that the low-density/high-density modules may come into play on a given system.

What is the Difference Between Low Density and High Density vs Low Density - http://www.overclock.net/faqs/113885-info-what-difference-between-low-density.html

Louis

#8 Paul Eamonn

Paul Eamonn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:36 AM

Hi Louis - many thanks for your reply and the link. I read it with interest. I had actually seen something about this high density/low density issue somewhere else. It's good to know exactly what it all means now.

Not with standing the density thing and the fact that I've bought them off of ebay (ostensibly from reputable sellers with a returns policy and high ratings), is it reasonable to say that these models 'should' work together quite happily in a Dell Dimension pc?

Kingston DDR - 400 MHz RAM PC memory pc3200 1GB 400MHz KTM-M50/1G

Kingston DDR - 400 MHz PC3200 1GB KTD8300/1G

Once again, many thanks for all the help you've given me.

Regards

Paul Eamonn
Regards

Paul Eamonn

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:36 AM

No.

Any RAM...with any motherboard/system...is always a gamble, pure and simple.

That's one reason why many of us stick to trusted hardware vendors for our components...if they don't work, the facility for returning or replacing exists.

As for Dell systems...you need to read what they have to say about replacement RAM for their systems, available at their website.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users