Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalled Windows 7, horrible performance

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kaci.

Kaci.

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:58 AM

I reinstalled windows 7 on one of my laptops that really needed a fresh start. It had a bit of malware that I spent some time trying to clean up, but I failed to remove it completely so I just chose to start over. I have more problems now than I did before, though. Immediately after I reinstalled, I noticed an overall sluggishness, but that was it. Things are going downhill now very quickly.

• 9/10 times I start my laptop, fan is going, but nothing happens and display stays black
  • Constantly at 50-70% CPU usage
  • Shoots up to 100% when I do anything, which causes whatever it is to freeze and I am stuck at 100% until I close it with task manager
  • Clicking on "show processes from all users" causes task manager to freeze
  • Trying to navigate anywhere on My Computer causes the window to freeze
  • Kaspersky is installed, but scans never complete
  • Cannot install anything new because installer freezes or never comes up
  • Update center has new driver updates for me every time I restart, which seems...weird
  • Disconnecting from internet often or taking too long to load pages
  • Cannot see other computers on network, but they see me
  • Keeps trying to activate my windows product even though it's already done it like 3 times..

I don't know what I could've done to cause this or what to do about it, and I'm not about to go experimenting with things on my own. Any ideas?

Edited by Kaci., 01 November 2010 - 01:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:40 AM

Dd you run Windows Upgrade Adviser to check if your laptop's hardware is compatible with windows 7?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Roderunner

Roderunner

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:04 AM

Did you do a 'clean install' by booting from cd/dvd, with a 'format' ?

George's PC Specs. / Laptop.  Desktop.

#4 Kaci.

Kaci.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:29 PM

I did format/new install from the cd. This laptop came with windows 7 installed and I have reinstalled it once before, no problems like this.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:43 PM

Have you tried updating all associated drivers for you hardware like the following:

Chipset
Sound
Video
Processor
Network

And others?

#6 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:12 PM

I did format/new install from the cd. This laptop came with windows 7 installed and I have reinstalled it once before, no problems like this.

So, are you saying that this is your 2nd reinstall and the 1st re-install did not have these problems?

The obvious question is what did you do differently? I would try the following:

1) Go to Start, Run and type in msconfig
2) Click the 'Services' tab and then check "Hide all Microsoft Services"
3) Now click "Disable All".
4) Go to the 'Startup' tab and then click "Disable All"
5) Click 'Apply' and then 'OK'.

Now reboot your machine.

Does it boot OK? Try performing some simple tasks like browsing folders, opening up a webpage, running a program, etc.

A couple important notes:

- most likely, you're antivirus and firewall will be disabled. Do not do a lot of browsing in this state!! Note, that some antivirus or firewall software will not disable using msconfig. This is the design of the security software. I know that the latest version of Zonealarm is immune to changes in msconfg, so if you see you're firewall still running, don't worry, it's actually a GOOD fail safe method.
- many of your programs that rely on services running may not work correctly after the msconfig thing

After you've "tested" your laptop's response, reply back here with your findings.

To go back to a normal startup. Start-Run-msconfig and select "Normal Startup". Apply, OK, then reboot.

#7 Kaci.

Kaci.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:39 PM

Disabled NVIDIA Display Driver Service, Microsoft Windows Operating System, NVIDIA Driver, and Synaptics Pointing Driver. Everything works super fast now and I have no problems whatsoever. Is it okay to leave these things disabled from now on?

I have all driver updates installed, also.

Edited by Kaci., 01 November 2010 - 04:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users