Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ikea kitchens/bathrooms?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RingBearer

RingBearer

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:55 AM

I'm a very handy and skilled homeowner. I've been hanging out lately in Ikea studying their cabinetry, appliances, fixtures,and general decorating ideas. I like many of the offerings for their unique look. The store is loaded with ideas and has given me loads of inspiration.

I always thought their stuff was cheap junk. Some is but most isn't. Their cabinet hardware is among the best I've seen for example. I'm going to do both my baths and my kitchen with Ikea. I've already gutted one bath and part of the kitchen in preparation.

Anyone done major home surgery using Ikea? How did it come out? Are you happy with it after you finished? Any mistakes made? I live 1 hour from the store so no one around here has an Ikea kitchen. I like the idea of having a unique look. When ever I go in someones house i easily pick out the junky Home Depot fixtures or the boring Lowe's cabinetry. Plus that home center stuff is so traditional/ mass market. The Ikea line has a fresh EuroTech look which I find appealing.

Has anyone used Ikea's line in their home? I'd be interested in your experiences if so.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 delldummy

delldummy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:50 PM

First time I visited I was thinking "chintzy" worse yet "Eurochintzy". I realize now it was because I just went in for the $1.99 breakfast deal and was irritated about having to go through the "mouse maze" to get to the cafeteria.(hope they never have a fire, that place is a death trap)

Anywho I have recently gone back a few times with my wife and I have changed my opinion. To start, we have aquired some really nice, very affordable kitchen wares including a really cool coffee percolator(I never see those anywhere).
What has really caught my attention is(as you mentioned)their kitchen cabinetry section. I could just stand around there and dream for hours. I love that one setup where the backsplash is all steel, and they have all these magnetic spice jars; they're just stuck on the wall! no wasted counter space, those pragmatic Skandinavians.

As for using IKEA's line, if I were remodeling my kitchen, I'd definitely go that route. Unfortunately, I'm not in the market as I have just finished a garage conversion project and I am tapped out for now(phisically and fiscally).
I'm not too interested in the furniture they have to offer; there is an IKEA about 2 miles from my house so it would be dificult to make my house "unique" with their furnishings so easily available to my neighbors; Besides that, it would only cheapen K-Mart-Martha Stuart-Easy Living Line Sofa and love seat(heh, heh)

We do enjoy walking around the place and saying "should we purchase the kruvinbekal or the valvfalon" no, I'm rather fond of the svejinswakel" Please! just call it a beanbag.

Edited by delldummy, 09 December 2010 - 10:50 PM.

#3 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 25 December 2010 - 07:27 AM

In Europe IKEA is part of nearly every household I would say, be it in one way or another. The mean thing is, even if you go there just to have a look and dont need anything or may be even dont like anything, you go out with atleast one piece in your hand...Personally I dont like many things they offer, as a lot of people have it or just dont fit my taste of things, but its never wrong to give it a look.

Btw, there is usually a shortcut that leads to the foodcourt. It should be indicated on the maps of the store they have everywhere (atleast in Germany thats the way).

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#4 Paulyvee

Paulyvee

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:05 AM

I think most people who have't been there assume that they only sell junk. In all fairness even the "mucho cheapo" gear they sell is value for money. (you get what you pay for) and given that they are built to a price they will do the job for a while.

Its like the cheapo angle grinder.
Dont expect it to be suitable for cutting into Fort Knox but its more that adequate to slice the plasterwork and lay in new conduit.

The great thing about their stores is you can't go through them without coming away with at least some inspiration. You dont have to like their style of decoration (I don't - i am more into traditional country style) - you just hav to be able to see how their ideas can be adapted.

I am now sixty+ years old and have been doing home repair work both profesionally andas a home diyer (supervised by Her In Doors of course) and with my dad when I was a kid for fifty of them. In that time I have learnt that you have to be able to do two things.
a) Visualise the completed job and explain the concept to her in doors.
B) sort out the easiest or best way of achieving that result.

Both parts can be helped in Ikea. because of the nature of their displays you can have a good look at how they achieve their results and combine ideas from multple displays.

Also I have also used some of their kit as a cheap supply of materials - adapting as necessary to get what I want.

So - YES i have used their kit - it just don't look as it came from the store. Easy to assemble with a bit of nouse and properly installed - bolt that shelving to the wall instead of leaving it free standing for instance - does the job well.

May IKEA live forever.

Paulyvee
Coventry
United Kingdom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users