Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Flash Memory Behavior

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:53 PM

Okay, this is kind of strange. I have an 8GB flash drive that Win 7 tells me I can use as added RAM. So, I followed instructions, inserted the flash drive, clicked on the option to make it a dedicated RAM drive, and off I went.

Instead of speeding the computer up, it actually slowed it down! My browsers took much longer to load, web pages slowed down and sometimes couldn't be opened unless I restarted the browser several times, some of my more memory hungry apps slowed down considerably, etc. I became nervous about the computer's behavior, and after about 24 hours, I removed the flash drive, and that was it. Everything was right back to normal.

This is my first time using a flash drive for extended RAM. Has anyone else ever had something like this happen?

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:06 PM

The option you are talking about is called ReadyBoost. More about it can be read here.

#3 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:35 PM

Thanks - ReadyBoost, I couldn't remember the name of the feature.

It still doesn't tell me why, after following those directions, the system slows down rather than speeding up. I use Poser 8, for example, for 3D rendering. It's a very memory intensive application, and I thought some extra RAM would speed up the rendering process, even if just a bit. The reality was, when using the flash drive for RAM, it slowed the app down.

Snowden03.png

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:39 PM

For ReadyBoost to work to it`s full potential the flash drive being used must be ReadyBoost capable. Not all drives are. Sounds like the one you used is not.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:48 AM

ReadyBoost doesn't function as RAM. It caches frequently accessed hard drive data. If you have a nice fast hard drive, a USB flash drive is likely to be slower.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:32 AM

Ah... Thank you, ThunderZ & Platypus. That would explain it.

Completely unrelated - I have found that the people at this site are amazingly knowledgeable about everything I've asked about. The best referral I ever received was to this place... :huh:

Oh, and both of you - love your sigs! :huh:

Edited by MelissaPleases, 01 November 2010 - 09:33 AM.

Snowden03.png

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:54 AM

Thank you and you are :huh:

I always get a chuckle out of Platypus`s sig too. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users