Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Veterans Day November 11th

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 John Bull

John Bull

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:13 PM

The US call this event Veterans Day, in the UK it is called Remembrance Day. Before WW2 it was known as Armistice Day, then renamed Remembrance Day after WW2 to take into account that conflict which had nothing to do with November.

My slot in life still calls it by the original name - Armistice Day. The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month - the official end of WW1.

Since then we have had WW2 and of course all the conflicts between the two World Wars and afterwards. The killing and wounding is still going on and unfortunately will never end if historical trends are reflective of mankind's barbaric behaviour.

This particular event hits me in the gut like nothing else can or has done.
I have never felt so hurt in mind and body than on this occasion. Rather tearful event, even for an ex Rambo like myself - YES tough guys can shed a tear and do.

To me it is a time to reflect on all those many tens of thousands of British, Commonwealth, Allied and American soldiers who never got the chance to see all the things we take for granted today.

Most of all I cannot rid my mind of all those countless thousands of identical white headstones in Europe and other places each marking the end of a young man`s short life. Guys who went and never came back. Hundreds of thousands of the poor guys who fell in action during all these conflicts have no marker, they were simply MIA on land or buried at sea.

What are your thoughts about this sad occasion ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:22 PM

In my opinion it is not a sad day and should be a day of happiness and rejoice. Without those that volunteer their lives to help protect our freedoms and our way of lives where would we be?

#3 John Bull

John Bull
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:55 PM

In my opinion it is not a sad day and should be a day of happiness and rejoice. Without those that volunteer their lives to help protect our freedoms and our way of lives where would we be?

Hey Cripto,

Volunteers are in the minority compared with the countless millions who were conscripted with regard to the cumulative total we are considering since the start of WW1 up to the present day. Your comment is out of place on this thread and an insult to the dead and crippled, plus all the families that were ruined forever, no sane person in the Western World will be laughing or rejoicing much on November 11th.

These many millions did not die to protect YOUR freedom, they died to protect their own, that of their families and of course the freedom or policies of the nations they loved. And any vet will tell you that in the middle of battle, they do not die for any of this, they die for their comrades.

Please don`t make a mockery of their sacrifice. This thread was not raised as frivolous or a joke, otherwise I would have placed it in the General Chat Forum as a joke.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:04 PM

I served four years in the US Navy and when I come to Veterans or Memorial Day, and people are crying due to their losses that they have suffered. I go up to them and ask them are you happy that you have freedoms, and they es. I then ask them Why are you sad? You should be joyful and happy that your son or daughter served their time honorably in the Armed Services and gave you your freedoms.

They walk away happy and remembering their happy times with their lost loved ones.

You obviously misunderstood my post.

#5 coles1mom

coles1mom

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:38 PM

Veteran's Day is the day we honor the living, the brave men and women who have preserved our freedom. Memorial Day is when we remember those who have given their lives.

In our town, the school children will read essays they have writen about these great men and women. Dinner for all veterans and their families will be served and yes a few toasts will be made. On November 11th, we will celebrate with our wonderful grandfathers, grandmothers, dads, moms, brothers, sisters and some of our children.

We will also remember with love, those who cannot be with us.

Thank You to all who have served and are serving our great country. Without you, I may not have the right to type this post.

#6 John Bull

John Bull
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:15 AM

I served four years in the US Navy and when I come to Veterans or Memorial Day, and people are crying due to their losses that they have suffered. I go up to them and ask them are you happy that you have freedoms, and they es. I then ask them Why are you sad? You should be joyful and happy that your son or daughter served their time honorably in the Armed Services and gave you your freedoms.

They walk away happy and remembering their happy times with their lost loved ones.

You obviously misunderstood my post.

Fair enough crypto, I respect anybody who has served in the forces, but I still don`t like your first post comments.

I served 5 years in the Royal Navy, then enlisted for the Airborne Forces - Parachute Regiment. Now that`s a tough life, people get hurt and I have many of those small white stones in mind on November 11th. My mates are underneath them. They never even lived to know what a coloured TV, computer or mobile phone was.

I also remember my Uncles in WW1, every one of them was wounded, gassed, shot and hit by shrapnel. 60,000 British and Commonwealth casualties in one single day in the first battle of the Somme, after it was over in around ten weeks, 600,000 British and Commonwealth casualties were the result. AND that is just ONE battle.

I guess your sympathies are in the right place Crypto, but please get it right ! November 11th is NOT about the living, it is about the DEAD, wounded and all the families whose lives were ruined forever.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:32 AM

November 11th is about the Living Veterans and all those who have passed away both in combat and due to natural causes.

#8 coles1mom

coles1mom

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:48 AM

John, maybe this will explain how we view the two holidays.

Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service.

Veterans Day, on the other hand, honors ALL American veterans, both living and dead. In fact, Veterans Day is largely intended to thank LIVING veterans for dedicated and loyal service to their country.

So here in the USA, Veterans Day is more about honoring the vets who are still with us.

#9 John Bull

John Bull
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:42 PM

Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service.

Veterans Day, on the other hand, honors ALL American veterans, both living and dead. In fact, Veterans Day is largely intended to thank LIVING veterans for dedicated and loyal service to their country.

So here in the USA, Veterans Day is more about honoring the vets who are still with us.

A BIG thank you for that clarification, it makes one hell of a difference to my understanding as a European.
Europe and of course Britain only have ONE day - Remembrance Day and it is a day when each nation pays deep respects to the DEAD. Those who in their millions died in service of their country and in many cases to preserve the very freedom we enjoy today.

In respect of the US, my thread obviously refers to Memorial Day. Just a complete misunderstanding. I never knew that the US had two days as you explain. So my thread in regard to my American brothers who died in their thousands to save Europe and to whom we will be eternally grateful is MEMORIAL DAY. Which to my amazement is held in May and is nothing to do with our November 11th as we recognise it.

No wonder I lost my rag at poor CRIPTO, we were looking in opposite directions.

CRIPTO, if you read this - My humble apologies chum, thanks to "coles1mom" I now fully understand your comments.
Well, ya live and learn eh ? Looking back at our conversation it now seems laughable. All over nothing.

So the US go Whoopee on November 11th celebrating the living whilst we in Europe cry our eyes out mourning the dead.
John

#10 coles1mom

coles1mom

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:08 PM

John,
You are most welcome. :thumbsup:

#11 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:30 PM

In Canada Remembrance Day is to honor our service men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. From 1921 to 1930, the Armistice Day Act provided that Thanksgiving would be observed on Armistice Day, which was fixed by statute on the Monday of the week in which November 11 fell. In 1931, Parliament adopted an Act to amend the Armistice Day Act, providing that the day should be observed on November 11 and that the day should be known as "Remembrance Day". From 1936 to 1956, inclusive, a proclamation was issued yearly to appoint the second Monday of October as Thanksgiving Day for(general thanksgiving to Almighty God for the blessings with which the people of Canada have been favoured). In 1957, a proclamation was issued fixing permanently Thanksgiving Day on that day, thus eliminating the necessity of an annual proclamation. On November 11 Canadians wear poppies and gather at war memorials across Canada to pay tribute to those who died in war. At the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, the time the Armistice of World War I was signed in 1918, we observe two minutes of silence to remember. As we continue to fight the war on terrorism, it is important to remember and teach about the wars in which so many Canadians died and why.

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:50 PM

Sempre Fi... Non sibi sed patriae...

Thanks for being one who cared
Thanks for being one who cares
Thanks for being one who dared
A special thanks if well you've fared

Thanks for answering the call
Thanks for going through it all
Thanks for those years of your life
A special thanks to those that gave their life

Thanks for helping keep free our home
Thanks to my brothers for getting me home
Thanks also to our sisters,who go thru hell
A special thanks to you all...my children live well

Thanks to all we'll forever call brother
Thanks to all you heartbroken mother's
Thanks to every American that sent a cookie there
A special thank you Lord that I was born here

04 May 2006
boopme

God Bless..
109-Year-Old Frank Buckles: America's Last Living WWI Veteran
http://www.takepart.com/news/2010/11/10/109-year-old-frank-buckles-the-last-wwi-veteran-in-the-us
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users