Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying Firefox Extensions?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Poll: Firefox Extensions (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think that Firefox Extensions should be sold by the creator?

1. Yes (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. No (7 votes [77.78%])

Percentage of vote: 77.78%

Would you buy a Firefox Extension?

1. Yes (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. No (8 votes [88.89%])

Percentage of vote: 88.89%

If a Firefox Extension is sold, do you think Mozilla should get some of the money?

1. Yes (4 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

2. No (5 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:26 PM

I was browsing through some Firefox Extensions when I came across a Firefox Extension that was a free trial for 45 days, then you have to pay for it. When I first saw this I thought, "You got to be kidding me! You actually want me to buy an add-on for a FREE product?"

I will not provide the Firefox Extension because I don't want people giving rude or slanderous reviews for it on Mozilla's website. If you really desire to do this, then go find the extension yourself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 23 November 2005 - 04:21 AM

I'd much prefer my extensions for free,but I do not have a problem with people selling them. It's unlikely I'd buy one. If I was going to, it would have to be a extensive and useful extension, that actually would warrant payment.

I don't think selling extensions will catch on. It doesn't sound like a business model that would work. And I don't think they should be distribute via addons.mozilla.org or in any way be associated with mozilla.org.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Rawe

Rawe

• Members
  • 2,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 23 November 2005 - 01:30 PM

1) If someone creates a add-on for Firefox should they sell it themselves if they don't want to give it for free: Sure.

2) No I wouldn't buy it, I'd rather take the free ones. If all the extensions would cost, I simply wouldn't use them. Firefox is good enough by itself.

3) If an extension would be sold, should Mozilla get some of the money for their causes: Yes, the should get SOME of the money, maybe 10-15% or something. After all, it's their product you would sell the add-on for in the first place.
Hi there, stranger!

#4 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 24 November 2005 - 03:45 AM

:thumbsup:

#5 timothy

timothy

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 24 November 2005 - 02:43 PM

Buying Firefox Extensions?

I dont know much about the open source culture, as I've been rather well trained as a consumer since birth.
I never really gave any thought to the possibility of a better way and that's just the way marketing firms would like to keep it I imagine.

However, after spending some time here at bleepingcomputer, reading and learning about computers has taught me all about open source ideals.
Open source projects seem to be 180 degrees from the market driven source and the positive results are self evident, not to beat a dead horse but does not selling the extension negate the whole point of open source?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users