Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freeze & Screen Blackout

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

#1 REIDS

REIDS

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 03:07 PM

Recently my computer screen will suddenly go black (like there is no signal comming from the computer). I thought that maybe my graphics card was going bad, until I had music on when the screen went black and the music acted like it was a CD that was skipping on a track. Then I noticed that the entire computer was actually freezing. This is happening more and more frequently. Sometimes if I move my mouse around (as if trying to get out of "screen saver mode") the monitor will come back on and the computer will not be in freeze mode. I also started noticing that the internet expolorer is running very slowly (it often seems like it hangs up for a while when trying to find the website that I'm trying to load). I have deleted all the temporary internet history and files, but this is not fixing anything. Please Help.

Thank you for your time, Sincerely,

Reid

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 03:31 PM

When was the last time you cleaned out your computer?

#3 REIDS

REIDS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:01 AM

Depends on what you mean by "cleaning out" my computer. I have Norton Antivirus software and just ran a full system scan today. The only thing that it found were 38 tracking cookies, which it deleted. My antivirus software does a complete system scan once a week. Maybe twice a year I will look through old software programs that I don't use anymore and I remove them from my system. I can't really think of any other ways that I would "clean out" my computer.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:41 AM

He's talking about physically cleaning dust from the inside of your CPU. I assume he thinks it might be overheating.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:25 AM

Norton has been known to cause system instability.

#6 REIDS

REIDS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:26 AM

I just blew all the dust out of the computer and turned it on. I turned the computer on and the screen opened up to the desktop, which asked if I wanted to "restore the active desktop" (my background picture was not there). I didn't have enough time to actually try to click the restore desktop option before the screen went black and the computer froze again. It was turned off all night so it could not have over heated by just turning it on and then hanging up by the time the desktop screen halfway loaded up. What would be my next move?

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:55 AM

Id remove Norton and see if it continues to hang up.

#8 REIDS

REIDS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:48 PM

Considering that I was not able to start up the computer without entering into Safe Mode prior to removing Norton, I think that might have fixed the problem. Now I have two new problems. 1st, what is your recommendation for a new AntiVirus software? 2nd, my desktop background is white and there is a button to "Restore my Active Desktop", which when pushed an "Internet Explorer Script Error" pops up. Whether I click Yes or No to "continue running scripts on this page" my desktop will not recover to its previous state.

Also, I noticed that when I started up the computer in Safe Mode I noticed that I had an icon on the desktop that was named firefox.exe. I was going to delete it, but I was more focused on uninstalling Norton. Should I load back up into Safe Mode and delete this icon (I don't believe I ever intentionally copied this file onto this location)? Is there anything else I should check for before assuming that everything on my computer is working fine?

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:43 PM

Ive been using the following: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/ for the past year, and I like it. Its free and very light weight.

#10 REIDS

REIDS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:32 PM

I spoke too soon. My wife called me at work to tell me that the computer just went to the black screen and froze again. It looks like the cause is not necessarily the Norton program, because I have not made any changes to the computer after uninstalling Norton. What is my next move to figure this one out?

#11 REIDS

REIDS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:10 PM

Does anyone have an idea of where to start with fixing the problem listed above when my screen turns black and the computer freezes. I uninstalled Norton antivirus and it seems to have slowed the occurences, however, they are still occuring. I have thouroughly cleaned the inside of my computer and the fans all seem to be working properly, so that would knock off the idea of overheating.

Anybody have any ideas?

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:49 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#13 REIDS

REIDS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:13 AM

Attached is my snapshot. I downloaded and installed the microsoft antivirus software that you mentioned above in the posts. My computer was performing a full system scan when I published this report. Let me know what is next.

Attached Files

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:20 AM

Please publish the Link as directed in the tutorial to the report as opposed to the text document and remove the attachment.

#15 REIDS

REIDS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:01 PM

I'm sorry that it took a while to get back to you, but I have been trying to get this program to "publish a snapshot" on a specific url, however, the program will not perform this function on my computer. I have discussed this issue with Piriform and they don't have a fix for it yet. Can you view this from the previous text file that I attached or is there another way to start this process?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users