Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File sharing pc & mac problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:19 PM

mac os 10.6.4 on macbookpro & winxp sp3 on thinkpad x41

I can get to my pc from the mac but I can't get to the mac from the pc. Network neighborhood used to show the mac but clicking on it I'd get "no access". Yesterday it only showed an icon for the winxp virtual machine on the mac and today only the icon for the thinkpad shows up.

I have File sharing & Share using AFP & SMB checked in system preferences. I have the correct workgroup name in network preferences under WINS. I added port 138 to the windows firewall on the pc [137 & 139 were already open] I turned off the firewall on the mac since I couldn't see any way to check on or add a port.

I tried Add a Network Place in network neighborhood using \\server\share and I got into the 2nd account on the mac I set up, which has nothing in it. I couldn't get into the original account I set up which has my files in it. Using the short account name [what I thought was the short account name] got me a "doesn't exist". Using the long name got me to the dialog box to type in username & PW, but then using the long name and the password didn't work. I read in one book to use the short account name, but I'm no longer sure what the short name is. Is there somewhere I can see what the mac thinks my short account name is? Do I need the short account name to connect from the pc to the mac?

When I set up the first account I expected the short account name to be used on login and in Finder and "Full Name" to be used when filling out forms like in windows. I wouldn't have used my full name or even my first name if I'd know that was the name that would show up in login and Finder. Can I rename the short account name in the 1st account? Can I rename Full Name?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:44 PM

I have this same issue and have yet to find a solution maybe buddy will have an answer for that as for the last part of the post you can find both your shortname and long name under the accounts preference pannel in system settings, you cannot change the long name without login into root but that is not recommended AT ALL. I wish I could offer you more information but thats all I got.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 03:07 PM

Full name = Mac OSX User, short name = macosxuser.
You can rename the Full Name in System Preferences > Account > your account > Full Name.
Read the link carefully.

#4 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:46 PM

OK so the Account name [v10.6] = short name [v10.5] and it has to be no spaces and is all lowercase.

My System preferences > accounts doesn't show the account/short name, just the full name. The short name,however, is used in finder to id the home folder and therefore, I guess, to id the network share. I think the os made the Account name from my full name because I put capitals when I typed in my account name - rather than giving me an error message.

I tried what I now know is the account name to Add a Network Place and got to the dialog box w/ the username & PW. The Run command w/ "\\YourMacComputerName\accountname" also works
Via trial and error I discovered that the full name = username in the dialog box.

So I got to my shared mac files by using the account name for the share name in \\server\share and my full name for the username in the login dialog box. I've opened and transferred files. Yippee!
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:49 PM

Glad you got it, and sorry about the miss information in my post I just had it the opposite. It gets all jumbled in my brain sometimes I guess. :blink:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:03 PM

I managed to prevent my thinkpad from connecting to the mac by changing "everyone"'s access to "no access". So I changed it back to "read only" and got file sharing working again. I guess giving "everyone" no access is like using the "deny" everyone in windows permissions. I used to remove the everyone group from my windows permissions, but I never used "deny".
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users