Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Replacement

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stillwaters

stillwaters

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:59 AM

Hi!

The Hard Drive in my Toshiba Satellite L305-s5944 laptop died, so I'm buying a Western Digital Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive to replace it. I'm getting Vista installation cds from a friend to reinstall Vista. My question is: Do I need to install a driver for the new hard drive, or will it automatically detect it and install the driver for me?

Thank You!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 03:05 PM

You should not experience any problem as to drivers. Unless there is some problem with Toshiba only allowing
their own HDD which I am only speculating on.

The reason I posted is your mentioning borrowing CDs to install Vista. If those CDs were intended to be used
on another brand and some cases model of computer and are not just Windows OS install CDs, then that would be a bad idea.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 stillwaters

stillwaters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:12 PM

Thanks for replying! I'll check it out.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:59 PM

Just steping in to give some more information.

You should not experience any problem as to drivers. Unless there is some problem with Toshiba only allowing
their own HDD which I am only speculating on.

As far as that goes no that would probably not make many happy so I doubt that would be the case.

The reason I posted is your mentioning borrowing CDs to install Vista. If those CDs were intended to be used
on another brand and some cases model of computer and are not just Windows OS install CDs, then that would be a bad idea.

As Buddy215 said this is generally a bad idea, if the CD is not for the specific computer it will not be a valid install.
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 stillwaters

stillwaters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:06 PM

I think they're Microsoft original installation disks. Will those work? I didn't make a recovery cd, and I'd rather not have to pay Toshiba for a cd (With all the "useful" offers and trash.) I have the Microsoft Product Key printed on the bottom of the computer.

Thanks!

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:14 PM

Did the discs come with your friends computer? What is your friends computer is it a toshiba as well? Basically my answer is no they will most likely not work it is Microsoft's way of trying to prevent piracy. The product key on the bottom of the computer will only work on the original install disc for that computer as I remember.

Edited by computerxpds, 31 October 2010 - 07:15 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:27 PM

If you have the Vista product key it should work. That is as long as the Windows Vista
you had and the Vista you will be installing are the same version.

I would take the time to get the network card driver for the Toshiba so you will be able to
go online right away to get any other drivers you will need such as video card,printer etc.

EDIT: This is one of the times when a live Linux CD comes in very handy. Ubuntu, for instance,
would most likely be able to go online immediately. If you have 500mb plus RAM.
The Live CDs work even if you don't have a HDD installed.

Edited by buddy215, 31 October 2010 - 07:33 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 stillwaters

stillwaters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:03 PM

I've been using the computer for a couple months without a hard drive with a Knoppix live cd :thumbsup: , but want to restore full functionality. Sorry to all the open source advocates, but for me, Openoffice just isn't as good as Microsoft Office. Maybe I'm just not used to it?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:16 PM

As was pointed out, if the installation CD is for the same version of Vista, Home or Pro, you should be able to make a fresh installation. You will however need the drivers that aren't native to the operating system. Like the drivers for the chipset, audio, video, modem, and the list goes on.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users