Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ERASED MY WIRELESS DRIVER!!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ajayz2010

ajayz2010

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:46 AM

Hi I was cleaning up a wireless program that I recently downloaded called arthro or something like that. I was trying to erase because I didnt like it so I went to add/remove and erased what I thought was part of the program and then I lost wireless connection and my wireless icon in the tray. So I went to internet connections in control panel and I didnt see a icon in there iether. Also, I had a alert from windows saying it wants me to download a hardware update but It wont let me download. I also didnt see the program in the recycle bin iether.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:08 PM

Make, model and type of PC?

#3 ajayz2010

ajayz2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:14 PM

I have a toshiba laptop satellite a105-s2101 running windows xp

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:42 PM

Hi I was cleaning up a wireless program that I recently downloaded called arthro or something like that.

Was it Atheros?

Specs for your laptop include this:

Atheros 802.11 b/g wireless-LAN

Right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop. Choose Manage. When Computer Management opens, click on Device Manager.

In Device Manager, click Network Adapters. Is the device listed and does it have a yellow symbol next to it?

If you don't see it in Network Adapters, look for something that says Unknown or Other, look under that.

After you find the adapter listed, and if it has the yellow symbol next to it, RIGHT click the adapter name. Choose UNINSTALL, confirm you want to uninstall. After it uninstalls, reboot your computer.

Upon reboot, the device should be found as New Hardware, and drivers should install.

After the installation of the drivers, see if you can connect to the internet.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 October 2010 - 01:02 PM.

#5 ajayz2010

ajayz2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:55 PM

No its not in niether section the only thing with the yellow symbol is ethernet controller

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

Try the uninstall of the device as suggested above.

#7 ajayz2010

ajayz2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:25 PM

so uninstall my ethernet control...Why would I do that

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:28 PM

This page should get you what you need.
You will want this one. It appears to be the driver only. This will allow you to use the Windows built-in wireless configuration utility to set up your connection.
01-18-2006
Driver
Wi-Fi
Atheros Mini PCI Wireless Lan (802.11a/b/g, b/g) Driver for Windows XP/2000(v4.1.2.111i129; 01-12-2006; 2.89M)

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:41 PM

so uninstall my ethernet control...Why would I do that

After you find the adapter listed, and if it has the yellow symbol next to it, RIGHT click the adapter name. Choose UNINSTALL, confirm you want to uninstall. After it uninstalls, reboot your computer.

Upon reboot, the device should be found as New Hardware, and drivers should install.

ThunderZ has supplied you with the page where you can find the drivers for your device. Since he has done so, please try that instead of uninstalling the device.

I had also found the page for network adapter drivers for your system, but was reluctant to post the info until it was known which adapter driver you need. (Atheros or RealTek, although based on your first post I suspect you need the driver for Atheros)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 October 2010 - 01:43 PM.

#10 ajayz2010

ajayz2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:29 PM

Ok I downloaded and installed it.. When I installed it the program wanted me to reboot I did and still I see no driver in device manager

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:41 PM

Ok. Let me double check my own suggestion.

You went to the page I linked to. In the first drop down menu selected your operating system, Note there is an option for XP and XP with SP2 & 3. Then selected Wi-Fi in the second drop down menu.

The file you d\l`d should be named ta6wlanax.exe

#12 ajayz2010

ajayz2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:27 PM

oohhh ok i didnt choose with sp2...thanx its working now

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ