Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD Drive Restarts Computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 abouttoswitch

abouttoswitch

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:20 AM

My cd/dvd drive seems to shut down my Dell Latitude C840. A week ago, I was updating my laptop by going to the Dell.com Support site and started to update a few things. I updated my Samsung CD/DVD drive and literally seconds later, the computer restarted.

Once I turned the computer back on, it gave me a message "Driver Not Working". Then I shut it down manually (holding the on button) Once I turn it back on for the second time, it prompted me to enter a password to access the "HDD Harddrive". I have NEVER set a pw for the harddrive. So of course, for the 3rd time, I manually shut it down. Once it came back on, the first original "Driver Not Working" came up and prompted me to "press F1 to retry or F2 to for start-up options (or something like that) or to hold CRTL,ALT, DELETE to restart.

After a series of doing this, manually restarting the computer, I decided to just remove the "CD/DVD drive" all together. Since its a laptop, it just slides out. I then turned the computer back on, and the 1st screen was the usual blue "Dell" and the progress meter. The second sreen was the "Driver Not Working" screen but this time it only a appeared for 1 second and then immediately went to the Windows XP page and the rest went well.
Since that time, my "CD/DVD" drive is still removed from the laptop because once I insert it, the computer goes to the full blue screen with white lettering telling me that one of my drivers is not working. At that point, I can only shut it down manually.

How do I get the CD/DVD drive to start working properly without the laptop shutting down?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:16 PM

Did you update the wrong firmware in your Samsung DVD drive? What is the model of your DVD drive?

#3 abouttoswitch

abouttoswitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:14 PM

Yes I did. I was trying to update the driver I guess. Samsung CD-RW/DVD Drive SN-324

#4 joe schumacher

joe schumacher

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:24 AM

Hello, abouttoswitch,

A suggestion I have would be to get into Safe Mode, open Device Manager, find the new driver for your CD/DVD device, and try to revert to the old driver first. You would do this by right-clicking the driver device and selecting "Properties". There will be a tab for the driver listed and options listed to update, remove, revert to old driver. You may have to put your drive back into your laptop when it is shut down, then turn it on, go to safe mode, device manager, and revert from there, since the new driver may not be present on your machine when the drive is not installed.

As I understand it, you are not able to even able to get past the BIOS screen, is that correct? (BIOS screen is the Dell logo with the progress bar loading). Please post your OS version as that will help me to determine your best course of action to resolve.

Safe Mode is gotten by hitting F8 repeatedly shortly after the BIOS screen finishes loading and your screen goes blank. A new page should come up with several options, choose Safe Mode without networking.

Another option is to use System Restore. Go to a date and time before you installed this new driver. You may be able to do this without the drive being installed, but System Restore may fail due to the drive not being there when your system is restored.

Other advice is forthcoming, but will only apply if the first two options are not doable.

joe schmacher

Edited by joe schumacher, 01 November 2010 - 02:26 AM.

#5 abouttoswitch

abouttoswitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:23 AM

Thanks for you help as well Mr. Schumacher.

I tried to go into safe mode w/out the driver inserted and it didn't pull up any info about the missing driver of course. Lol. I then tried to go into safe mode with the driver inserted and the BIOS screen comes up, takes about 10-15sec to load, then goes to this black screen that says:
Primary hard disk drive not found
Fixed optical drive not found
No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility

I am about to try the system restore now
I am using windows XP home edition

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:51 AM

If it is the firmware you updated then a system restore will not change anything. The firmware is contained on a chip on the circuit board in the optical board. It is not on the hard drive with the operating system.

#7 abouttoswitch

abouttoswitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:30 PM

To Thunder Z,

So what should I do from this point? Is there ever a chance of using my CD/Dvd drive again?

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:48 PM

Re-flashing the firmware to the proper version may solve the problem.

But since you are unable to boot the PC with it attached......I am at a loss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users