Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System memory

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 duplo

duplo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:01 AM

Hello :huh:
Advise me, please
What memory should I get for given motherboard and processor?
Now I have DIMM 512mb DDR SDRAM PC3200 400mhz installed (don't remember why :thumbsup: ).
Is it ok with this memory or no? (See the table from the motherboard manual and my configuration below)
Is it a 'strict recomendation' in this synchronization table? Or this table has no recomendation style?
How can I upgrade memory modules in a better way (so as to be "faster")?
Posted Image

Thank you in advance

Edited by duplo, 31 October 2010 - 11:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:44 PM

You can use DDR-400 (PC3200) on that motherboard with 1GB sticks in each RAM slot. That's pretty much as fast as you can go with DDR RAM, to get any faster, DDR2 or DDR3, you would have to replace your motherboard. Your motherboard can only use DDR, not DDR2 or DDR3. On that motherboard, you can have a maximum of 4GB of RAM. Note that to use all 4GB you would need a 64-bit operating system, otherwise you will be limited to 3GB to 3.5GB due to addressing. You can get G.SKILL Value 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400, which is a single 1GB stick of RAM.

3939.png

#3 duplo

duplo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:19 PM

what would be better, to get one 512 Mb (same as i already have) for duo-channel mode
or 1 Gb (single-mode)? Can I use 1Gb and my old 512 Mb in 2 slots (single-mode)?

Edited by duplo, 01 November 2010 - 02:19 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:58 PM

To run dual channel you need matched pairs to have the best results.

You would need to read the manual for single mode operation. I know that some motherboards want the RAM populated in a specific way for single mode.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 duplo

duplo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:14 PM

I know that some motherboards want the RAM populated in a specific way for single mode.

yes, there's a table in the manual with a scheme, but there's no word about capacity of modules, whether they should be equal or no in single mode

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:26 PM

I found this on page 2-13 of your manual:

For dual-channel configuration (3), you may:

* Install identical DIMMs in all four sockets or,
* Install identical DIMM pair in DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1 (blue sockets) and identical DIMM pair in DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 (black sockets).

Page 2-12 has capacities listed. Since you need identical modules, you would need at least two 512MB sticks to increase your RAM in a dual channel configuration.

3939.png

#7 duplo

duplo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:26 PM

I found this on page 2-13 of your manual:

Thanks for participating, but I have read a manual before posting and the table in my post is from there (the rule RTM :thumbsup:) Maybe I asked my questions unclearly.

Anyway, topic closed since I have found an other solution ;)
Thanks to everyone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users