Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Create a Restore Point.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:46 AM

Reading many post here made me think of this.
When a reply to a OP question states, use system restore to a date earlier that the problem occurred. The OP answer is I don't have a restore point.
IMHO a system restore point should be made before any major changes to your system are done. Doing this can save a lot of head aches. Another time I recommend using the system restores is after a fresh install and everything is working properly. Now when you install new programs and things don't work properly you have a restore point to go back to. To my understanding System Restore by default is on.
How to create a System Restore Point.

Start and type restore and go to System Restore and tick. It will guide you step by step, it's very easy to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:25 PM

To my understanding every OS I have installed has had System Restore set to on by default, because I have had to turn it off, because I dont system restore eating up my valuable disk space.

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:08 AM

Some one who has the knowledge of computers like cryptodan has, probably don't need a restore point. Cryptodan has used his knowledge many times on this site to help the masses. For some one like me, that haven't reached that level of computer knowledge yet it has come in very handy a few times. One does not need to keep all the restore points because it does take a lot of hard drive space. One or two will do. Another choice might be is another hard drive and restore points. No idea is correct for all but they are worth thinking on and see if the idea suites some ones needs and desires. Thank you cryptondan because I'm one in the masses that you have helped.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:52 AM

I should add, that because I run my system with no system restore points doesnt mean you should as well. I don't recommend turning off restore points to people who are less knowledgeable in computers.

#5 Socratesx

Socratesx

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:07 PM

I also keep the system restore disabled to save resources. If I want to take a backup of my OS good condition then I would do it with a backup program. The backup can be burned into a DVD so you save these resources. A good and very friendly program is the Acronis True Image.
My Blog for Computer Beginners : Buy a New Computer
My Rig:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P DQ6 | CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.4Ghz | Video Card: Sapphire ATI 4870x2 |
RAM: 2x2GB OCZ Reaper DDR2-1066 | Hard Drives: 4xSeagate 7200.12 2TB | OS: Win 7 x64 | PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users