Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unsure what to do next

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sujichan

sujichan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:20 AM

When I logged into my computer this morning before anything else a popup for Antivirus8 came on. I had two choices, get genuine or continue. I hit continue, and then the computer restarted. I went into safemode, and ran antimalwarebytes' antimalware. Antivirus8 kept popping up, and I kept hitting the X and nothing else. Couldn't go online so called my sister to look it up online. She went to this www.2-spyware.com/remove-antivirus8.html and helped me to remove some files in my registry. Antivirus8 doesn't pop up anymore for me, but now explorer keeps giving me this page where the page is grey with a red box that says the request to the webpage had a problem and to either resend request or fix. I don't want to click on anything and make things worse. I'm re-running malwarebytes' and also Avast free edition. But I don't know what to do to fix explorer.

BTW, running Windows 7 64-bit. Mine is not the only account on this computer. This is my daughter's computer, and her account is password protected so I can't get into it. I wanted to post the screencap I took the explorer page I get, but explorer won't let me browse to any photo hosting site so I can post it and then add it here. I even had a hard time trying to get on here!

Any help would be more than appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,937 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:25 AM

I went into safemode, and ran antimalwarebytes' antimalware

Scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in safe or normal mode will work but removal functions are not as powerful in safe mode. Why? MBAM is designed to be at full power when malware is running so safe mode is not necessary when using it. In fact, MBAM loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode because the program includes a special driver which does not work in safe mode. Further, scanning in safe mode prevents some types of malware from running so it may be missed during the detection process. Additionally, there are various types of malware infections which target the safeboot keyset so booting into safe mode is not always possible. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM. Doing a safe mode scan should only be done when a regular mode scan fails or you cannot boot up normally. If that is the case, after completing a safe mode scan, reboot normally, update the database definitions through the program's interface (preferable method) and try rescanning again.

After performing a new scan, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the new report in your next reply.

Please download and scan with the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool from one of the links provided below and save it to your desktop.
Link 1
Link 2Be sure to print out and read the instructions provided in:How to Install Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool
How to use the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool to automatically remove viruses
  • Double-click the setup file (i.e. setup_9.0.0.722_22.01.2010_10-04.exe) to select your language and install the utility.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If you receive a UAC prompt asking if you would like to continue running the program, you should press the Continue button.
  • When the 'Setup page' appears, click Next, check the box 'I accept the license agreement' and click Next twice more to begin extracting the required files.
  • Setup may recommend to scan the computer in Safe Mode. Click Ok.
  • A window will open with a tab that says Autoscan and one for Manual disinfection.
  • Click the green Start scan button on the Autoscan tab in the main window.
  • If malware is detected, you will see the Scan Alert screen. Place a checkmark in the Apply to all box, and click Disinfect if the button is active.
  • After the scan finishes, if any threats are left unneutralized in the Scan window (Red exclamation point), click the Neutralize all button.
  • Place a checkmark in the Apply to all box, and click Disinfect if the button is active.
  • If advised that a special disinfection procedure is required which demands system reboot, click the Ok button to close the window.
  • In the Scan window click the Reports button, choose Critical events and select Save to save the results to a file (name it avptool.txt).
  • Copy and paste the report results of any threats detected and if they were successfully removed in your next reply. Do not include the longer list marked Events.
  • When finished, follow these instructions on How to uninstall Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool 2010.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 sujichan

sujichan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:23 PM

I'm running antimalwarebytes' in normal mode. Unfortunately I keep getting redirected to antimalwarelist.com's page about needing to fix the webpage problem or resend request while trying to download the kaspersky antivirus you told me to look at. I can't even access the information pages you linked either.

#4 sujichan

sujichan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:38 PM

Malwarebytes' ran. I had run it before, on normal, and it removed several things, but this is the latest log.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5007

Windows 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

31/10/2010 2:32:34 PM
mbam-log-2010-10-31 (14-32-34).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 316354
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 4 minute(s), 6 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\av8 (Rogue.Antivirus8) -> No action taken.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Despite removing the file I'm still having that internet problem. I cannot access the information on installing, using or removing kaspersky.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,937 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:41 PM

If you cannot use the Internet or download any required programs to the infected machine, try downloading them from another computer (family member, friend, library, etc) with an Internet connection. Save to a flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drive or CD, transfer to the infected machine, then install and run the program(s). If you cannot copy files to your usb drive, make sure it is not "Write Protected".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users