Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop can't see shared disk on main computer

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 DaveLS

DaveLS

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:46 AM

Hi

I am running Windows XP with SP3 on both machines in a small home network. My computers are set up in a single workgroup. My main computer is LAN connected to the router and the laptop is wireless connected. The main computer can access a shared disk on the laptop, but the laptop cannot access the shared disk on the main computer. When I attempt to connect to the main computer I get the following message. "\\ComputerName\c is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the Administrator of this server to find out if you have permissions. Not enough server storage is available to process the command". I have set the main computer permissions to allow access.

I discovered one other symptom that might explain this problem. When I attempt to change either the workgroup or computer name the O.K. button greys out and the only thing I can do is press the more... button which then takes me to a screen that requests the DNS Suffix for this computer?? This computer has never been part of a Domain and since I have no idea what to enter for a DNS Suffix I can't change the computer name or workgroup.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users