Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Point

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pll8on

pll8on

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:04 PM

The shut down process on this computer is sick (an unfixable illness) and I have to manually power down
after it hangs up on "Windows is shutting down". I was under the opinion that each time the computer
shuts down, a new restore point is set! (Am I incorrect?) As the system is shutting down incorrectly, I don't know if any restore point is being set. Today, after updating ZoneAlarm (10mb update), my anti-virus program (EZ-Trust) was corrupted by this download (Red X showing in tray). I went to start/run and performed a 'scanreg/restore'. I use this computer daily and I was surprised to see only three restore points dated November 1, 2 and 3 and today is November 22. Fortunately, one of these restored my anti-virus software back to a working condition. Is there any way to manually set a system restore point on Windows 98SE? Or am I crying "WOLF" for no apparent reason?

Tks for any response, Phil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:08 AM

In Windows 98 there really isn't a 'Retore Point' as such. Restore Points are a prt of Windows ME and XP and include saving registry information and files.

In Windows 98, a registry backup is normally made automatically each time the computer was started for the last 5 times. These backups are what you see when running scanreg and should be named RB00x.cab with the 'x' being a number from 0 to 4 with RB000.cab being the most recent backup. A backup is not made when the bootup is not normal (such as when you get the message that windows was not shut down properly and scandisk has to run).

Since you mention that there was a registry backup for the current day then I would say that things are working as expected as far as the automatic registry backup goes.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#3 pll8on

pll8on
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:12 AM

In Windows 98 there really isn't a 'Retore Point' as such. Restore Points are a prt of Windows ME and XP and include saving registry information and files.

In Windows 98, a registry backup is normally made automatically each time the computer was started for the last 5 times. These backups are what you see when running scanreg and should be named RB00x.cab with the 'x' being a number from 0 to 4 with RB000.cab being the most recent backup. A backup is not made when the bootup is not normal (such as when you get the message that windows was not shut down properly and scandisk has to run).

Since you mention that there was a registry backup for the current day then I would say that things are working as expected as far as the automatic registry backup goes.

Cheers.

OT

You missed my point. On November 22nd, the only restored registry's were dated November 1,2, and 3. As I use this computer daily, I should have seen uptodate restore points. However, I think I can set these restores manually since my shutdown problem can't be cured. See if this makes sense:
I go to start/programs/windows explorer - to windows - navigate to command and open folder, then in the right-hand window, I open the Scanreg file and it asks me if I want to back up my registry today.
Is this the answer to my question "Is there any way to manually set a system restore point on Windows 98SE? " (registry backup is the correct term as you pointed out)

Tks for the response OldTimer

#4 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:01 PM

You can make a restore point any time you choose.
Start>run>regedit>enter. Now click registry>export reg file>give it a name and where to save it.
Under "Export range" check all.
When you want to use it right click it and select merge.

Edited by bicycle bill, 24 November 2005 - 10:03 PM.

#5 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2005 - 08:42 AM

Yes you can use scanreg to make a registry backup. If run from within windows I would suggest using the windows version (scanregw). You can decide if you want or need a backup every day or not. Unless you have installed new software or changed any system settings a daily backup will not really be needed.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#6 pll8on

pll8on
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:23 AM

Thanks guys, you provide a great service.
Can't thank volunteers enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users