Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ATI media image restore?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Goodspeed

Goodspeed

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:33 AM

Hi there,

Using ATI Home 2011 Plus Pack to create full back up image on a bootable media requires multiple DVDs.

The image created is successful, validated with each disc named.

My question is how does one restore that on a machine with a single media drive.....because one has to use the boot media drive to start the restore process using the created bootable media DVDs and it keeps prompting to insert Volume 1 & than 2 etc.

How can this issue be resolved....using a usb DVD drive.....or the same drive ejecting the one not needed & inserting the asked for?

Or am missing some step?

Creating an image on a HDD & restoring with a boot CD is not an issue...problem facing is when the image is on a media.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:21 AM

I hope I'm understanding your question correctly Goodspeed - I take it that you're asking for confirmation that you can restore a multiple DVD Acronis TI image backup using a single optical drive?

If so, yes, once you have started TI from the bootable media, that disc can be ejected from the DVD drive, and TI is running in system memory. When you replace the boot CD/DVD with the first image DVD, you can choose the restore image which has its first section on the DVD, and TI will ask for the next disc in the series each time when it needs it.

If TI did ever need to access the bootable disc again, it would request it. I don't recall that ever happening to me.

Do take the time to verify the backup, it takes a while, but occasionally a DVD can be faulty and you don't want to discover that when you're starting a restore.

Edited by Platypus, 31 October 2010 - 04:24 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Goodspeed

Goodspeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:41 AM

Correct Platypus.

I have been using ATI since version 9......in this 2011 Plus Pack version it is behaving a bit differently & confusing me.

After purchase experimented it on my machine running XP etc, size of OS on disk 12.4 GB & image created on HDD & media approx 6 GB.

While trying to restore with the 2 bootable DVDs, booted with Vol 1 that contains the Full ATI Home that got installed in the memory & than asked first for Vol 2 & than 1 and I kept changing the media & even tried using 2 optical drives each containing a back DVD.

Whenever it asked for a specific one I browsed to give it the path but the image never gets restored?

I always verify image careted & restored.

Any suggestions?

Regards!

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:08 AM

That's interesting. With 2011 being new, have you raised the issue at all on the Acronis forums?

I wonder if having the DVD bootable is tripping it up somehow. Perhaps it could be worth trying having a bootable CD, and the DVDs with nothing but the image data?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Goodspeed

Goodspeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:15 AM

I have waiting for there tech support to reply. In the mean while shall try with CDs as you suggested.

Regards!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users