Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc freeze after pink crosses on screen

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 djvic87

djvic87

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:00 PM

I have a custom built pc and every time I boot up my pc after a day or two, the screen turns to pink lines and then it freezes. However, after I restart the computer, the lines don't come back and the pc won't freeze. It only happens whenever I turn on the pc after a very long time. Here is an image to see what happens. The last thing I did was add a 4gb dual channel memory kit. Please write back with any suggestions, thanks.

Posted Image

Edited by hamluis, 31 October 2010 - 07:17 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:32 PM

Hi djvic87 -
Is this running XP SP3 (or SP2 for Pro) with all updates installed after you built (had built) this system -
The last time I had a "pixilated" (only way I can describe it) screen was due to Power Supply Unit failing -
Can you , or have you checked this item ??
Others may have better ideas , but this is my first check due to my previous problems -

Thank You -

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:45 PM

That is Windows Vista or 7, but your video card is dying.

#4 djvic87

djvic87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:03 PM

Actually, I'm not running a video card. I'm running video directly from the motherboard. Does that mean that the motherboard is dying on me? Could it be the RAM sticks?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:32 PM

You will have to get another video card see if your motherboard has any expansion slots.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:17 AM

If using onboard, then you have a video chip. The chip could be bad without the motherboard being bad.

Just for the heck of it...I would uninstall the video drivers and then reboot.

Cryptodan's suggestion is to disable the onboard video and try a physical video card...depending on what slots your motherboard may have.

Louis

#7 djvic87

djvic87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:15 PM

I did a little bit of testing and here is what I discovered. Whenever I install my 4GB dual channel kit, the pc wont give me anything on my monitor (until now). Also, the computer won't give me the beep noise (the one that lets you know that the pc is running). Third, I noticed that the dvd drive starts to light on constantly, and the cd tray won't come out.

Then I tried taking off the RAM chips off the pc to see if the dvd drive is still doing the same thing. I do know that the PC will begin to scream because there isn't any RAM chips on board and that no picture will come on the screen. So, when I turn on the PC without the RAM, the dvd tray works properly. Could it be the RAM being faulty?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:19 PM

Your on board video card is probably using the system RAM for video memory that is called sharing.

I still think its your video card. With faulty RAM youd get BSOD's. The pink crosses you are seeing is artifacting and that only happens with video cards dying.

#9 djvic87

djvic87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:04 PM

UPDATE: My pc is now ok! I went to the computer store to exchange the RAM I had with my PC. Next thing you know, it's up and running. I didn't had any high expectations that the problem was with the RAM, but I guess that was it lol. I agree with what you said crypt because I do know that if the RAM is faulty, you will eventually get a bsod. In my case, I think the RAM just went kaput in an instant. Anyways, thanks for all of your help.

Edited by djvic87, 31 October 2010 - 04:06 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,283 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:41 PM

Faulty RAM can become apparent via onscreen content...the only faulty RAM I ever bought...produced effects which made me think that the video card/chip was failing. But after playing with it for a while, I realized that it was probably RAM, since that was the only change I had made in the system.

My effects were a bit more obvious than yours :thumbsup:.

Nice troubleshooting :flowers:.

Louis

#11 djvic87

djvic87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:53 PM

Hehe thanks. This is the RAM kit I had: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0317775. I had it for two weeks and couldn't believe how it eventually died on me. And yes, this was the last change I've done to my system too. I really liked this kit. It's real fast but I don't know if I should get it again and hope that it gives me more problems. Do you guys think I should get it again and beat the odds of going faulty once again?

Edited by djvic87, 31 October 2010 - 10:56 PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,283 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:04 PM

Just my opinion...there is no protection against those "Friday afternoon, Monday morning" components that get by Quality Control...for any industry.

No matter how conscientious a manufacturer might be...no one has ever succeeded in eliminating the reality of routine QC or quality problems.

My natural instinct when I have a problem with a component is to avoid that manufacturer in the future...unless it's memory or hard drives. I don't hold a bias against those manufacturers, the task they attempt is just too hard, IMO.

Louis

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:21 PM

What Louis said.

Worked in the printed circuit board business for a while. The company made one off`s and custom runs for level 2 and 3 customers.

Depending on the board, it`s application, amount made per run, amount of times the part is run\manufactured, OEM specs for the board, etc. There was not a 100% quality control check. May be 1 in every 100, every 1000. Larger manufacturers with larger quantities may only check 1 in every 10,000 or more.
Bad parts do get shipped to the customer.

Thought some might find this interesting. This is a very small scale manufacturer. Wanted to post just the flash presentation but could`t.

Flash presentation of Surface Mount Technology in action

Do not necessarily believe the unsigned customer reviews. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users