Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not sending signal to monitor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Memimi

Memimi

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:15 PM

My roommate's computer recently stopped working. He said this happened once before... my cats unplugged his power cord while the computer was still on and when he tried to restart it, it wouldn't send any signal to the monitor. We've tried several monitors. He said that last time this happened he just put the computer in the closet and about 8 months later he pulled it out and it worked again. Any ideas what he can do to fix it? He said this happened with another of his computers and doing a proper shut down and restarting fixed it but I can't manage that without a monitor. I've tried a few times. Any ideas?

Edited by hamluis, 31 October 2010 - 07:21 AM.
Moved from XP forum to Internal Hardware ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:45 PM

Does the monitor display anything...any onscreen message?

If so, please post same.

Louis

#3 Memimi

Memimi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:14 PM

Well, they do the same thing they do when they aren't plugged into anything. The first monitor we tried just went into standby mode, the other one just said "No Signal".

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:06 PM

OK, thanks :thumbsup:.

You have already checked the connections for proper fit?

System manufacturer and model (e.g., Dell Dimension 1234, Compaq Presario 5678, etc.)?

<<my cats unplugged his power cord while the computer was still on and when he tried to restart it, it wouldn't send any signal to the monitor.>>

Is this relative to recent events...or the prior instance?

Louis

#5 Memimi

Memimi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:07 PM

Was this time that the cats unplugged it. And it is... HP Pavilion a705w. And yes, I've checked and rechecked all of the connections.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users