Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem From Reformatting.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Astoth

Astoth

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:19 PM

Hello. I have a 200GB hard drive partitioned with 150GB and 50GB (roughly). I decided it was about time for a reformat to fix some problems but didn't want to lose some things. (Game Saves, Documents, Graphics, etc.) So i moved everything I wanted to my second partition (50GB). I popped in the Windows XP install CD and went through until I noticed it had a "keep current File system..." option. I chose this option hoping that it would keep all my games and everything. Instead what I get is a new install of Windows XP with all my C:\ files but my partition F (now relabled as D somehow?) is not working and says it is corrupted and unreadable. So I lost all of my backups but the normal stuff is still on C: but my documents I needed are now unavailable, but there. In Documents and Settings I see the folder they would be in, but says "Access Denied" when I click on it. My new Document folder is now like this: Name.PCNAME... My same old All Users folder is tehre with everything it had originall though.

Please any help at all would be appreciated. I have been trying to get a bootdisk program to open DOS and copy the folder to another place to try it, but havn't been able to find one. If anyone knows a read/write program that gooes on to a CDR, please let me know what it is. Thank you in advance!

I bet you one million dollars you read this!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:42 PM

See if this will help:
How To Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Astoth

Astoth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:15 PM

Wow, worked perfectly! Thanks!

Now I have one problem left, is there anyway I can regain control of my partition? I want some of the stuff on it but if not, then I guess it's alright. Again, thankyou for your help.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:40 PM

Try Digitl Dolly 1.0. You will need to download and unzip it to a folder on your hard drive first. Then burn an .iso image to a cd. This will make it bootable. It will boot to a Linux GUI so it does not matter which OS you are using. It is very straight forward.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Astoth

Astoth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:02 PM

Here is an update on my situation.

I reformatted my C:\ drive/partition using the Windows XP CD. I selected "...keep current file system option" thinking that maybe I wouldn't have to reload all my back-ups and all. Upon reformatting my C: partition, I lost control of my F:\ partition that had all my back-ups and important data on it. I also lost control of my old My Documents folder which I now have taken control over again (Thanks tg1991!).

Currently I wish to get my F:\ (renamed to D) partition back to control so I can salvage some files on it. If anyone knows a way to do this, please let me know.

Acklan, thanks I will try that out right now. I'll edit my post in about 20 minutes or so and let you know how it works. Thanks for the help!

#6 Astoth

Astoth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:02 PM

Had some problems last night, but I got to try that program you suggested Acklan. It didn't work for me, or I wasn't using it correctly.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:06 AM

Were you able to make a .iso image with the burning software?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 Astoth

Astoth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2005 - 11:03 AM

Yes, I made the ISO using NERO. I booted with it and the program did come on. When I tried to use it to get in to the partition that is not working, I couldn't. I don't remember exactly why, but I'll try again.

I have tried software like GetDataBack for NTFS 2.31 and it came up with all errors when checking that partition. Every other Recovery software I used came up with errors, or couldn't find anything. Sometimes it is showed as FULL sometimes as Empty.

I'll retry the Digitl Dolly again. Get back to you later!

#9 Astoth

Astoth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2005 - 03:57 PM

I tried Digital Dolly and got the following information from it:

Posted Image

I couldn't get the backup partition to work, I mounted both partitions, then tried to backup HDA2 ,partition 2, to hda1/Backups (would be C:/Backups) but didn't work. It came up with Error executing command.

Edited by Astoth, 25 November 2005 - 03:59 PM.

#10 Astoth

Astoth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 08:04 PM

After finally getting it working with all the files backed up and usable, i started to back it all up, but then the computer crashed. Digital Dolly wasn't reading the hard drive. I finally decided it was time to let it go, and just reformatted the drive. Thanks for your help though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users