Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes after 20-25 minutes.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 igiveup92

igiveup92

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 02:13 PM

Ok, so here's the problem:

About a week and a half ago, my computer started freezing. Always within 20-30 minutes, mouse and keyboard frozen too. If I shut down, I have to leave it sit for at least 10 minutes to an hour before I can start again (otherwise it freezes before the windows logo can load). This made me think that maybe it was overheating, but I checked the CPU temp at the last shutdown in BIOS, and it's normal.

It freezes when I'm working on stuff, when I'm doing nothing, and even in safe mode. Never done this before, though it has times where it runs a little slower. It's been running just fine since I upgraded the hard-drive in Jan.

What I've tried:
As far as I know, nothing has been downloaded except windows updates recently. (Doesn't mean something hasn't been downloaded though. I'm not the only user, and somebody might not be telling me everything....)

I've tried restoring to a previous date. No go. Still freezes.

I've tried to run Norton scans, but it tells me my "definitions" are out of date. I try to update them, but I'm on dial-up, so the computer freezes before they are done.

I've run defrag

I've checked the Event Logs, nothing there except telling me that the computer shut down unexpectedly, and that it was turned on after an unexpected shut down (Wow, way to point out the obvious.)

I've been trying to download driver updates, but again, slow internet connection. I've resorted to downloading them on another computer to a cd and installing them that way. I can't find a driver update for my processor though, at least not for Windows 7.

What I've got:

Gateway GT5028

Hynix 512mb 400mHz memory (2 of them)

Seagate Barracuda SATA, 1TB 32mb Internal hard drive (just added in January) - LOTS of empty space on here. No major games or any space hoggers.

Windows 7 Home 64-bit (Installed when I put in the new harddrive)

AMD Athalon x2 processor

Anything else you need to know??

HELP!

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 02:20 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 igiveup92

igiveup92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:52 AM

Sorry it took so long! Busy weekend..

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/4i5CyrrH5k4EVYWGifXU0TT

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:35 AM

I would highly recommend getting more RAM for that computer. 1Gig of RAM is inadequate for Windows. I would suggest another Gig of RAM.

#5 igiveup92

igiveup92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:53 AM

So could that fix the freezing then? oh, and how much would you recommend adding?

Oh, DUH. NVM:)

Edited by igiveup92, 02 November 2010 - 12:03 PM.

#6 Socratesx

Socratesx

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:57 AM

I agree with cryptodan. RAM is too low to run on a Windows 7 OS. Also download memtest and check you RAM as many hours as possible to be sure that your RAM modules have no problems. RAM actually would be the first thing that I would check if I had a similar problem.
My Blog for Computer Beginners : Buy a New Computer
My Rig:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P DQ6 | CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.4Ghz | Video Card: Sapphire ATI 4870x2 |
RAM: 2x2GB OCZ Reaper DDR2-1066 | Hard Drives: 4xSeagate 7200.12 2TB | OS: Win 7 x64 | PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users