Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble with Sierra Wireless Aircard 875u

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hotter Than July

Hotter Than July

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:38 AM

So to start off, I kept having malware trouble with Windows XP (SP3 and SP2). I have 2 partitions, one for Windows XP, and my main partition is for Ubuntu 10.04.1 (2 days after I had the opportunity to download Ubuntu files, they released 10.10 and I almost went beast mode). I've been using a bash shell as sudo/root/administrator (whatever you call it). I'm running on a Acer Aspire 3680 laptop, so I've been using a Sierra Wireless 875u to get on the Internet. The original files (for Windows) didn't work, so I went on their site and followed the instructions on the Sierra Wireless website but KPPP wouldn't install on my computer (I even went to their website (which I lost) but I didn't know what to download). Right now, I have all the authentication mentioned on the Sierra Wireless instructions, I'm just not sure if I correctly named the APN. I've been using the command # pppd call gsm to try to connect to Centennial (we should be switching to AT&T soon). Mostly terminal has been giving me an issue with the connect script connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -t6 -f /etc/ppp/peers/gsm_chat'.
Also, I have one question: If I have a backdoor on my Windows partiton can it interfere with browsing on Ubuntu (because I can easily get to my Windows files on Ubuntu but Windows is oblivious of Ubuntu's presence).
Please help if you can help with any part of this if you can, thank you in advance.
"Snake, you have to use the control panel."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:59 AM

Hi Hotter than july.

I see we meet again. :thumbsup:

You can find out your kernel version by typing uname -r into the command line. This should help you find out which kernel you are running and thereby tell you which driver you need to download.

The malware needs windows to run, it can not interfere with your ubuntu, as long as it can't see the partition. Since the backdoor is running in Windows, it will not see your ubuntu partition.

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Hotter Than July

Hotter Than July
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:59 PM

Hi myrti

Good to see you again :thumbsup:

I'm about 98% sure that I have the correct kernel version- since then it hasn't given me issues with the connection script, it's been saying
Protocol-Reject for 'Compression Control Protocol' (0x80fd) received so :flowers: . Because I have no clue how that happened. I will get my kernel version though.

#4 Hotter Than July

Hotter Than July
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:00 PM

Okay I did have the correct kernel version

#5 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,771 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:30 PM

Hi,

are you now using the manual or the gui version to connect to the internet? If you haven't tried it, I would suggest you try the manual steps. I'm not sure though what you need to replace the isp.cingular by for centennial.

regards myrti

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

#6 Hotter Than July

Hotter Than July
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:59 PM

I've followed the instructions and have been trying to manually connect with the pppd. Centennial and AT&T have a merger and soon enough we'll be able to switch to AT&T without spending all that money disconnecting all the Centennial lines :thumbsup: .

For some reason now it keeps alternating between compression protocol and connection script errors :flowers:

#7 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,771 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:45 AM

Hi,

google said the likeliest cause for the compression protocol rejection was a wrongly named APN. Hence it would be important to know what APN you need for Centennial. The one for AT&T is given in your guide, but I don't know if Centennial is gonna have the same one.
Maybe support at centennial knows, not sure.
regards myrti

#8 Chris_Pool

Chris_Pool

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:48 AM

Wireless on a laptop for linux used to really suck until ndiswrapper was brought around.

Try to get a native linux driver for your card first. If that doesn't work, ndiswrapper is a great alternative.

ndiswrapper is a linux program that lets you use windows XP wireless drivers. I've done it on three different laptops, all with different cards, and it has always worked.

it's in the repositories, #apt-get install, etc. Just remember to install the gtk applet that goes with it because configuring this kind of thing from the terminal can be a real pain.

#9 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:55 AM

http://www.itguyonline.com/blog/2007/03/14/cingular-aircard-875-2/

http://blog.irwan.name/?p=449

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users