Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Responses to 2008 Topic, Dell vs HP

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nwsparky09

nwsparky09

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:03 PM

EDIT: Split from 2008 post by OP re purchase of Dell or HP system ~ Hamluis.

Two of my friends had bad HDD in their pc from Dell. I know that’s not typical. But they wouldn’t give them an os disk with the new HDD and there was no way of copying it. We would call Dell and they say it’s covered under warranty (bad block) and they would ship them a new HDD w/the os on it. The catch was that you had to pay extra every year for that warranty every year. So I got on the phone and asked the tech how we should honor the MS os agreement. That is that if you sell it you are required to either remove the os or supply them w/the disks. Aren’t they actually two separate things? There is an MS sticker on their machines. I told them that was a form of extortion. I asked the tech what he did with his pc. He said he built his and bought the os separately. I responded by saying, “you just made my point. It took a week of bantering w/Dell techs and they finally mailed the disks w/ a new HDD already to go.

Does Dell still fight people on this issue? Are there other makers that have the same practices?

I call Dell and they won’t directly answer me. They send me to tech department, but since I can’t confirm that I own one, they elude the question and send me to sales.

igo<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Ok yes this problem does exist , however DELL are breaking the law if you live in the European Union. I for one have a Dell D"8400... infront of me, I have all the compatable componants but the damn thing wants me to load the o/s from a floppy drive which although installed was hidden behind the front panel! Ok DELL you stink hope you go bankrupt..I will be building my mate a computer that actually works at a fair price.. he wont buy from you again..and the person..well put it another way he wont be equipping his company with the thousands of pc either from DELL.

MY recommendation if you want a pc dont touch Dell

Edited by hamluis, 30 October 2010 - 08:12 AM.
Moved from unrelated topic - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:56 PM

Personally, i like to build my own, however, I have had several HPs in the past, and love them all, I like their quality and they got darn good customer service. Now, on a side note, I run a computer repair business, and somewhere around 75% of my repairs are on dells, and Dell customer support is the pits. This is my experience, my vote is if you go pre built go with an HP.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 igonuts2

igonuts2

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:26 AM

didn't know my subscription was still active. two year old thread?

purdy sure dell is including a partitioned copy of the os on the hdd or discs now.

their practice, as i saw it, was a violation of ms eula. and a form of extortion.

ms eula violation
requiring the purchase of their warrantee package in lieu of surrendering the os, that in turn forces one to violate ms eula upon resale of the computer to third parties under specific instances. i.e. dell made it impossible for the seller to remove and retain a valid copy of the os if they chose to sell the computer w/o the os.

extortion violation,
dell would give a new hdd to those dell deemed had a bad hdd, but only if you purchased the extra warrantee package. never the os itself.

after a year w/o the warrantee package, one typicaly found themselves owning a huge paper weight.

if i under stood what i read correctly.

--------------------

ended up going to tiger direct and getting a refurbished acer for under 400. very pleased. i found that suggestion else where on bc.

Edited by igonuts2, 26 September 2010 - 04:52 PM.

Why work when you can play!

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:18 PM

They are wanting to buy a lap top, so I think building one is out of the question.

I would recommend a large hard drive for the pictures or a smaller internal one and a nice huge external one. I would recommend 4Gigs of RAM at bare min since you say you burn videos, and watch them. I would also recommend that you get Windows 7 64bit, and make sure you get a dedicated video card when ordering it. I am partial towards nVidia, but for what you are going to be doing an ATI Card may better fit your budget. If you do get an ATI Card make sure its an HD 4300 or later.

#5 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:05 AM

This topic is 2 years old....I HOPE they found a solution in the past 2 years.

Lol..........

#6 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:45 PM

Another dead one rose from the grave. Isn't Halloween coming?

Dan

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:43 PM

lol I didnt even look at the date, I just noticed someone had posted in it and assumed it was a recent one. . .perhaps I should start looking at the dates lol.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:55 PM

Simple solution. Build a PC or have one built by a Tech you trust. Oh yeah, get the full bore OS disks too.

I use Toshiba's.... except for some garage sale junk - buyer beware.

You can't build your own laptop.

#9 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:36 PM

You can't build your own laptop.

Actually, you can.
http://computershopper.com/feature/build-your-own-laptop

Edited by Sightless, 21 October 2010 - 04:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users