Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are all the important processes hidden?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VaynardX

VaynardX

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:54 AM

Are all the important processes hidden and all the unimportant ones(like the programs you install) seen in the taskbar? And if there's a virus process, will it show itself on the task manager processes?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:09 AM

do a ctrl+alt+delete and select task manager and make sure that you click show processes from all users.

#3 dodes

dodes

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:35 AM

Doing what cryptodan suggested will present a full list of processes running on your system, but the process name alone often isn't enough to determine whether a process is malicious or not - you need to examine what's hooked, or "running under" each process.

To do so, download Process Explorer from:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Executables (.exe's) aren't the only malicious files that can run on your system. While I don't yet understand the technical details, I've been told that .exe's and .dll's only differ by one bit (and both are capable of malicious activity). Process Explorer is useful because you can compare file paths, file names, parent processes, and digital signature validation to help determine if a particular file may be nasty.

1.) Start > run > msconfig
2.) Make sure that, under the 'General' tab, 'Normal Startup' is selected.
3.) Open Process Explorer.
4.) Under the Options menu, enable 'Verify Image Signatures'. An internet connection is required for signature validation.
5.) Under the View menu, enable the 'DLLs' 'Lower Pane View'
6.) Process Explorer presents a list of each running process on your system, along with the DLLs and other files they depend on/load with. Sorting the lower pane by company name is incredibly useful for quickly spotting suspicious files.

You can use a search engine to search for the filenames of any suspicious files you may find, but PLEASE BE WARNED that the internet is loaded with false information, and deleting one or more files you see in Process Explorer can render your PC inoperable. If you have reason to believe your PC is infected, get with a Malware Response Team member who is specially trained to determine what's nasty on your system and what's not.
Windows 7 Pro x64
Biostar TH55B-HD
WD Corsair Black 500GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
G-Skill 2x2GB 1066 DDR3 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

#4 VaynardX

VaynardX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:57 PM

^

Thanks for the detailed stuff.:huh:

@cryptodan

I am the only user. I asked the question in my taskbar it said that it has 49 processes but I can only see about 10 in the task manager. Are those hidden ones important processes?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:37 PM

Are you talking about this area:

Posted Image

Thats the system Notification Area. Some programs will be shown there where as others wont be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users