Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Boot With Passport External Connected

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nodrogchavez

Nodrogchavez

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:42 PM

I am helping a friend who is experiencing this problem. If the Passport is plugged into a USB port the computer will not boot. It gets to the system screen and that's as far as it will go. If the Passport is not plugged into the USB port, the computer boots fine. Also, once the Windows logo shows up, we can plug the Passport into the USB and all is well.

A secondary issue is that if the Passport is plugged into the USB port on the side of the Dell flat screen monitor, it is not recognized. Windows Explorer, Device Manager etc. do not show the drive. It runs continuously as indicated by touching it and seeing the small indicator light on the side of the Passport. When it is plugged into one of the USB ports on the computer itself, it is always recognized.

Puzzling? You bet. I have checked the BIOS settings, the boot sequence, you name it. I should mention that whilst I am not by any means an expert at these things, I have built computers, I have designed software for them, and know my way around resolving problems such as this. However, this one has me stumped. Any suggestions out there?

Edited by hamluis, 30 October 2010 - 07:24 AM.
Split from different thread ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nodrogchavez

Nodrogchavez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:12 PM

The problem of the Passport not being recognized when it is plugged into the Dell monitor turns out to be a power problem. The drive needs 1000mA and the monitor USB only provides 500mA of power. That leaves me with the 'won't boot while the Passport is plugged in' problem.

Edited by Nodrogchavez, 27 October 2010 - 11:13 PM.

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:06 AM

Good troubleshooting! :thumbsup:

I see that a lot. Any external drive should have its own power supply, or plug it into a USB hub that has a power supply.

I have also seen systems hang when booting up with a Western Digital MyBook. I would check the BIOS to be sure it does not have any USB listed in the boot sequence (anywhere) but beyond that, there is not much you can do besides just leaving it unplugged until it has booted up. The BIOS may have a listing for "Booting from USB" as well as listing it in the Boot sequence.

The other system I know that does the same is an HP. You didn't say what type your friend has.

DR

#4 Nodrogchavez

Nodrogchavez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:44 PM

Her computer is an old PC. I have rechecked the BIOS on that PC and it is configured correctly. First A: drive and then C: drive, with no mention in the list anywhere about looking at a USB port. Interestingly enough when I plugged that Passport drive into my old PC and it booted normally and informed me that it had found a new hard drive. My next step will be to take my Seagate external drive (which has a wall plug power source) and plug it into her PC and see if it boots with my drive.

Just for the record, although it doesn't pertain to this problem, we are both running WinXP-SP3.

Stay tuned readers, as the drama unfolds. :thumbsup:

#5 Nodrogchavez

Nodrogchavez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:43 PM

Well, I give up. I plugged my Seagate external drive into her computer (leaving her Passport unplugged) and it booted just fine. I then tried plugging her Passport into her PC at the same time as my Seagate and the boot failed.

Unless someone can suggest a solution to this problem, I have told her to just boot her PC with the Passport unplugged, and plug it in when the Windows logo shows. That is an annoying work-around. :thumbsup:

#6 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:16 PM

I would get a new Seagate or Samsung drive and give that Passport to someone that can use it. I don't know what it is about them but the Passports and MyBooks just do that.

It is getting near the holidays! It might make a nice Xmas present. :thumbsup:

But really, it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with her computer.

Try a Firmware update on the Passport.

DR

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:18 PM

It's normal (IME) for XP not to be able to boot...when certain devices (external drives, USB devices) are detected during boot and are not bootable.

Since XP recognizes that a device is there...it cannot go forward...because it doesn't recognize it as a bootable device.

Another reason why users with external drives...should get those with On/Off switches, rather than those that are always on.

Honestly, there is no reason for an external drive to be on before Windows loads.

Louis

#8 Nodrogchavez

Nodrogchavez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:56 PM

Updating the firmware is one of the first things I did when she told me about this problem, so no joy there.

As for XP not booting due to certain devices, the PC does not get that far. It 'hangs' before that sequence starts. And, as I pointed out, her PC booted just fine with my Seagate external drive plugged into it, and it is not a bootable device.

However, I'll leave the final decision to my landlady, as it is her computer and her Passport.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions here; they are truly appreciated. I'll now consider this matter closed.

Gordon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users