Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 Screensaver does not work

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cmfurgason

cmfurgason

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:13 AM

Win7 (32-bit) Screensaver not working. Intel DG31PR 775 Socket with integrated LAN and Sound. Dual core processor. 4gig memory.

I've read everything I could find on this problem, but none of the answers in Forums online have helped and I'm hoping one of your faithful has a solution. Here's my story.

I have installed Win7 using Update from Vista Basic, and, the Custom install from WinXP. The screensavers work fine in both before Win7 install, but under both setups when I start Win7 Home Premium with just the basic OS installed the screensaver doesn't work.

Things I've tried:
- Clean Boot
- Unchecked the setting for the network card to "Allow this device to wake the computer."
- Turned off the setting in the BIOS to wake the computer
- Disconnected the USB Optical mouse and plugged in a PS-2
- Keyboard is PS-2
- Disconnected all USBs
- Shutoff the Background Slide Show
- Set Microsoft Default Screensaver to begin in one minute - Screensaver previews fine, but won't envoke itself
- Disconnected PCI cards
- I have the Power Options set to “Balanced” Turn off display in 10 minutes & Put computer to sleep in 30 minutes
- Installed all the latest Updates from Microsoft for Win7
- Put a checkmark in front of "On resume, display logon screen" as some advised online
- Checked the Power Management tab, the setting to allow this device to wake the computer was already unchecked. But in the Advanced tab, there is an entry called 'Wake on Settings'. That was set, by default, to 'Wake on Magic and Directed'. I changed it to 'Disabled'

Perhaps this is solely a Microsoft problem that cannot be fixed by the end user. I'm completely open to suggestions. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:05 AM

Sounds to me like you need to perform a clean install of Windows 7, as you have upgraded to many times which can cause issues and confusion.

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:01 AM

Check the other programs you have running in the background. Maybe one of them is stopping it. I have a Majick jack on my computer, recently an update for that program kept my screen saver from running. It has since updated again and now my screen saver is working again. Try stopping or shutting down the other programs to see if one of them is the culprit.. :huh:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 sowilo

sowilo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:20 AM

Don't do a clean install. Never do a clean install, it is an outdated concept that was pointless in the first place. Possibly try a systems restore if screen saver worked before. To do a clean install you need all your installation discs and drivers. you will need to do loads of updates. It may solve the problem, but is it worth it? This is a minor issue, and one which I am sure you will find a solution to eventually.

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:55 AM

When did a clean install become outdated? A clean install with format with OEM or Retail CD has always worked best for me. I must be outdated also.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:16 PM

Don't do a clean install. Never do a clean install, it is an outdated concept that was pointless in the first place. Possibly try a systems restore if screen saver worked before. To do a clean install you need all your installation discs and drivers. you will need to do loads of updates. It may solve the problem, but is it worth it? This is a minor issue, and one which I am sure you will find a solution to eventually.

There maybe underlying issues that a clean install will fix. A Clean install is not outdated information. It can be used to solve a whole bunch of issues at once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users