Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension 8250 w/256 MB of RDRAM?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Davexx1

Davexx1

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:29 AM

My wife has a seven year old Dell desktop Dimension 8250 with Win XP, Pentium 4, 2.8 gh, and only 256mb of PC1066 non-ECC RDRAM. The computer has always been slow, but now is almost unusable. It is unbelievably slow to boot up, respond to commands, etc., hangs up often, etc. I have scanned all and it appears to be virus/malware free so I assume the slow operation is a fault of inadequate RAM.

The RAM in this computer is two 128 mb sticks of PC 1066, non-ECC, RDRAM. This type of RAM is not readily available and is somewhat expensive. PC800 speed RDRAM is slightly less expensive but not sure if it will work or be advisable to use for an upgrade.

Because of the cost of a RAM upgrade we are wondering if it would be wise to buy more RAM for this old computer or start all over with a new computer. Thoughts??

In an effort to get by with what she has, would it help or be beneficial to reload the XP operating system to gain the benefits from a clean system?

Thanks, Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:12 AM

Considering the current systems which are not new...but have better specs than the one you currently have...and will have warranty provisions...I would go forward with at least an inexpensive dual-processor system and leave the RDRAM behind.

I would not get a Dell system (personal preference) but would look at places like TigerDirect and Walmart...I tend to be cheap and don't get a thrill out of paying more for a system than I think it's worth ;).

As with any prospective purchase...your options will be determined by the amount of money you wish to part with.

Louis

#3 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:54 AM

Davexx1,

i'm in the same situation as you. i have a demension 8200 with 256mb rdram, and it's as slow as molasses. this is following a reinstallation of xp pro, and installing as little as possible afterward. i suppose a lightweight linux could make for an improvement in speed, which i will try soon.
because dell chose to use rdram, they, pretty much gave the computer a death sentence. i couldn't believe how much rdram costs, and with the 8200 it needs to be in kitted pairs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users