Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Freezing on startup

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 kerryboy

kerryboy

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:10 AM

Need some help please.

About a week ago my laptop running Vista home premium (with the latest service pack) started to freeze during startup. It would get to the stage where all the desktop icons would appear but then it would just freeze and not respond to any commands. I was able to shut it down by holding the off button and when I restarted it was able to restart it in the basic safe mode. If I restarted it in the safe mode with network connectivity it would just freeze again. Sometimes it gets further along the starting up process before it freezes.

I looked into the problem and thought it might be a corrupt user profile. I followed instructions on the microsoft website (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile) for fixing the problem and set up two new profiles, one to replace the old one and one for the transfer.

When I tried to copy the profile as per the instructions I was not successful, it transferred some but not all of my settings/programmes. Having set up the two new profiles my original profile just started working again out of the blue and worked properly for around a week. It has now started to freeze during startup again and does so on all of the three user profiles (the two new ones and the original one). It seems to boot up ok and run in basic safe more.

I have tried doing a system restore to when it worked properly but that has not solved the problem.

Would appreciate any advice/suggestions

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:16 AM

If it freezes up in Safe Mode then there is a chance that its either malware related, or hardware is failing.

Can you provide some system specs so we call tell you what you need to do.

#3 kerryboy

kerryboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply

It only seems to freeze in safe mode when I select "safe mode with networking". If I select the basic safe mode it does not freeze.

Basic system spec is

Dell Vostro 1710
Processor: Intel core 2 Duo T5670 @ 1.80 GHz
Ram: 2.00 GB
System type: 32 Bit
Windows Vista Home Premium
Service Pack 2

Is there any more info you need?

Edited by kerryboy, 30 October 2010 - 01:56 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 02:02 PM

Are you using wireless or wired internet?

#5 kerryboy

kerryboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:52 PM

Am using wireless internet with WPA encryption.

I recently installed a VPN network connection (Iportal). I installed the same VPN software onto two other laptops and have not had any dfficulties with those.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:04 PM

Try turning off your wireless connection and then turn it on when you get into windows.

#7 kerryboy

kerryboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:27 PM

That seems to have done the trick. I started with my wireless connection turned off and then when it had booted up properly I switched it back on. It worked fine and without freezing.

What does this mean and is there a long term fix for this problem?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:40 PM

Means you must turn off your wireless before shutting down or restarting. You may have to update your drivers.

#9 kerryboy

kerryboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:07 AM

So in terms of a long term fix, if I update the drivers will that solve the problem permanently?

Also I am curious why would this have started happening out of the blue for apparantly no reason?

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:23 AM

The only way to see if updating your drivers will solve this issue, is by updating them and properly maintaining your computers.

#11 kerryboy

kerryboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:34 PM

What exactly do you mean by 'maintained properly'? I download and install regular updates for windows and other programmes and the laptop is used very little. When it is used it is to type stuff for college or send emails, there is very little junk downloaded to it or risky websites visited.

What else would you suggest that I should do as part of a proper maintainence routine?

I will update all the drivers relating to the wireless network tomorrow. Just to confirm that I am going to do it right, I go into device manager and click on the update driver option? Is there anything else I should do when updating them?

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:36 PM

Driver Updates should be included on your daily maintenance regiment for a reliable and stable computer.

#13 kerryboy

kerryboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:53 AM

While I appreciate and am grateful for the fact that you are doing this free of charge and taking time out your day to do it I can't help feeling that you are not being very helpful. Your longest responses so far have been one sentence of 22 words and two sentences of 19 words in total. Except for the fact that you have actually volunteered to help me I would almost assume that you dont particularly want to help as it would be very difficult for you to give shorter answers that contain less information.

Please look at this from my pespective, my computer which is two and a half years old and which had been working fine up until this point just started freezing for no reason. Obviously I am at a loss for what to do or how to fix it and have come looking for help. So far all you have told me, without giving me any indication about what the problem might actually be except to say that I will have to start my computer with the wireless turned off from now on, is that the only way to know if drivers are the problem is to update the drivers and properly maintain my computer.

You then proceedeed to tell me that driver updates should be part of a proper maintainence regime anyway while not answering my direct questions about what should form part of a proper maintainence regime and the correct procedure for updating my drivers.

Despite your responses I am still in the dark about whether I am going to do the update correctly and about what I should be doing on a daily/monthly/weekly basis to maintain my computer properly.

I will update the drivers in the manner stated to see if it fixes my problem and include driver updates as part of my maintenance regime from now on.

I am sorry if I seem ungrateful as that is not the way it is meant but at this stage it might be better if you passed me to another moderator as you do not really seem to what to help me with the situation I find myself in.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:06 AM

You should check for Driver updates at least 2 times a month via visiting Dell.com and entering your service tag number. If you are unable to find updated drivers then then you must become more familiar with the components of your computer such as the video card, processor, chipset, audio card, modem if you have one, network card, bios, and any other device that maybe included in your configuration.

Like everything in life you must read the user manual to anything to understand how to operate it, and how to use it properly. The user manual is like your car manual that outlines what switches do what, what each indicator light means, when you service the transmission, change the oil, rotate tires, and what not.

To learn more about your system, please do the following:

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

If you find my replies short and sweet then that is how I help people as that is how I have been trained to assist people.

#15 kerryboy

kerryboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:30 AM

Sorry if I seemed ungrateful before I really do appreciate the assistance its just very difficult not knowing what is happening. I have now updated my wireless drivers which also updated my bluetooth driver. I am now getting an error saying that the driver for a peripheral bluetooth device cannot be found, I assume that this is not something I should worry about at present?

The problem I have with the Dell.com website and checking for drivers is that it throws up all the drivers for my laptop and not just the ones I need to update which can be very time consuming, is there any way around this?

One thing I have noticed is that I am not running the most recent BIOS so I will update that now as well.

I have included the speccy link below:-

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Zvdzi63sBeFURw6u2lScwdm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users