Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am pretty sure I am infected on one of my networked computers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CurlySin

CurlySin

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:50 AM

Hello,

I have been working with this for a few days and I am sure this is some malware, spyware or virus and I think it might replicating a file for log in because my anti virus cannot detect it and I have no idea the name of it. It is only one computer on my network and of course I am on another asking this question. Here are the few things I can reveal... after I shut off automatic shut down with windows errors I noticed. Windows boots properly(or at least I think) and you get all the way to the log in screen and you can successfully log in with no problems. This is where the problem starts... At first the pc would just automatically shut off after a few seconds and seeing the background screen saver of the user. I managed to turn that off so now I can log in to both normal and safe mode without it shutting down but of course Safe mode I get a black screen/normal I see that same screen-saving background. I can luckily still pull the task manager and sometimes pull explorer.exe but not always. I have attempted to use my Norton Anti Virus to help me because I use this on all computers on my network.

I first tried to use the Norton Boot Recovery Tool but once I got to the screen for the key it wants a 25 key license and Norton only wanted to give me a pin of 13. I work for the company that is offering this product and for my personal account I get 7 licenses. I was not happy. I could see this was not being helpful so I decided to download the Microsoft software Malicious Tool Remover online to a USB and run it from the task manager. I find that it doesn't recognize anything and so I having helpful use of explorer in this process decided to just take a chance and downloaded Spybot Search and Destroy in hopes of some help and that program did seem to recognize a lot and I used that to the best I could. I only bought this computer less than a year ago online so I know someone with better knowledge than me can address it and I would be thrilled for the help. I might be able to get it cleaned enough but I would feel better if someone else can help. I am doing all I know in hopes of finding better solutions for the computers I build on my own and work with on a daily basis just for hobby.

Things I can do on this pc...

I can load windows
Get to the Bios
Get to the welcome screen
Gain access to the task manager and basically run commands or dos prompts but some commands fail

I can browse the directory from the task manager

I am limited on what I can do on this computer so I am not sure how much you can help but anything you can advise is appreciated.

I am hoping after this last Spybot scan I might be able to load up to windows completly and remove the programs I have told these users not to use like mysebsearch and funwebs ect. but noone listens lol.. I applaud any help I can get. Thanks

Thanks
Rebecca AKA CurlySin
redacted@comcast.net

Edited by Andrew, 30 October 2010 - 04:34 AM.
Mod Edit: E-mail address redacted for your protection - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:21 PM

Hello,

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users