Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot install any software

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ricky606

Ricky606

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:33 PM

Hi ! Cannot install any software
message says"Unable to execute file in temporary directory, setup aborted.
Error 5:access denied"
my O/S is Win XP Pro and i am in admin mode when this occurs
The exe file is in My Documents
Can anyone please let me know how to solve this problem?
I use the free Avast5 anti virus and the free Comodo Firewall(which is turned off during installation of software)
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:43 PM

What are you trying to download?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Ricky606

Ricky606
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:07 AM

the software is already downloaded on my computer in My Documents like Malwarebytes, Iobit Security 360, Spybot Searh&Destroy,Superantispyware,Speccy, CCleaner etc

#4 raju50

raju50

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:14 AM

Use ubuntu OS. No virus problems on this OS and its a free OS. http://www.ubuntu.com/

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 05:16 AM

"Unable to execute file in temporary directory, setup aborted.
Error 5:access denied"

I was googling that error message for awhile before I found the following topic:
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=8158
which seemed applicable to your situation. Try the instructions given and let us know how it goes.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:46 AM

I would also try doing this: Temporary File Cleaner it is a safe free program that clears out all your temp files.

#7 Ricky606

Ricky606
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:08 AM

Thanks AustrAlien for taking the time to reply with your suggestions
Thanks cryptodan for the link to TFC .I have always used the free CCleaner from www.piriform.com but TFC is a new one definitely worth trying

Edited by Ricky606, 31 October 2010 - 06:19 AM.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:06 PM

CCleaner shouldn't be used since I have been a member of this site, I have quit using CCleaner.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:54 PM

There are other applications which will do the same job, but don't present the potential risks of using registry cleaners. The Windows operating system actually does take care of most of these removals.

The problem with registry cleaners is that the staff here has seen too many occasions where they have been used inappropriately, or without proper instructions, which have resulted in rendering the computer inoperable.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Ricky606

Ricky606
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:15 PM

"I suspect it has to do with folder permissions, but unfortunately I don't know which Temp directory MBAM stores it's setup files during installation. My best GUESS would be under C:\Documents and Settings\(Username)\Local Settings\Temp. Navigate to this folder and right click on it and click properties. If you're running XP Pro you should see a Security tab, click it and make sure Administrators have full control. It should have all of the check boxes filled in and they should appear to be greyed out, if they aren't, then check the box that says Full Control and try installing again. "

checked this link out and I have Full Control as Administrator so folder permissions is not the problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users