Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to copy system files from XP CD to Windows?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ricky606

Ricky606

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:18 PM

Hi !
I have a corrupt file in Windows XP Pro. Its in the i386\driver.cab
Can anyone please let me know how I can copy this file from my XP CD to Windows to overwrite the corrupt one?
what will be the command line in recovery console? will it be "expand" or "copy"?Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:41 PM

If this corruption isn't too old you can try a System Restore to take this back prior to this problem. The restore points usually are only about two weeks.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

From this point we will need to know the make and model of this computer. To facilitate this, please use the following software to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Ricky606

Ricky606
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:01 AM

Thanks for your reply
I will try a system restore

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:43 AM

You can also try running sfc /scannow as it will check system files and what not.

#5 Ricky606

Ricky606
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:55 AM

Thanks "cryptodan" for your reply
i will try sfc /scannow from command prompt
Can you please tell me approximately how long will it take? I have a 320GB SATA hard disk installed, with the C drive on a 80GB partition.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:37 AM

Running sfc /scannow command...normally takes less time (on my systems) than an install of XP...30 mins at most.

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html

Louis

#7 Ricky606

Ricky606
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:21 AM

Thanks hamluis for the info

#8 Ricky606

Ricky606
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:57 PM

done sfc /scannow with the XP CD and finishes at the command prompt doing nothing(normal)
so i guess this driver.cab file being corrupt may have been a false positive shown by boot time scan of Avast 5 anti virus

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:06 PM

Sounds like it to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users