Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Program Icons all Strange...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Tourq

Tourq

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:02 PM

Not sure what happend to my icons but i just opened my laptop and there they were...the included pic should explain...

MS Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2
AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72
4.0GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics...just incase that may help.

I've tried restarting...a registry cleaner then restarting...scanning with Malewarebytes and Virus scanner...the shortcuts work fine but when I try to replace them with a new one I get the same icon for the shortcut.

Any help would be great...

Thanks

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:16 AM

Download Vista Shortcut Overlay Remover
First choose No Arrow and click Apply, then choose Arrow and click Apply. You may have to restart.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:08 AM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 October 2010 - 06:09 AM.

#4 Tourq

Tourq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:30 AM

This is what I got when using the Vista Overlay Remover.

And if someone could give me an Idea as to why this may have happened, that would be great....

Thanks in Advance.

Posted Image

Edited by Tourq, 30 October 2010 - 07:34 AM.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 01:24 PM

Looks like you have installed or are running the program under standard user privileges. It requires administrator access.

If the program does not work then you can follow these manual steps.

Warning :
Since you would be making changes manually, there is a possibility that you can make a mess. So before you continue, make a backup of your registry using ERUNT. If anything wrong happens you can always restore from the backup.

First open an elevated command prompt and type the following in it. Better copy/paste to eliminate any typos. To paste on command prompt window, right click and choose Paste.
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Shell Icons" /v 29 /f
Then log off and log back on, or just restart your computer.

Edited by Romeo29, 30 October 2010 - 01:26 PM.

#6 Tourq

Tourq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:33 PM

Now Ive gone to my System Restore to just Restore it to a few days ago because I'm starting to notice some serious lag in the performance of my Laptop so I figured I would see if it would solve all of the above...and so i go to do this and all System Restore Points are gone...Create restore points automatically is on, but NO Points are there...WOW...what now...any suggestions?

Edited by Tourq, 30 October 2010 - 08:34 PM.

#7 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:08 PM

Click the Windows "Start" button and select "All Programs," followed by "Accessories," "System Tools" and "System Restore."

Click "Continue," or enter your administrator user name and password. Click "OK" when prompted to confirm your choice by Vista.

Select "Choose a different restore point," and then click "Next."

Check the box labeled "Show restore points older than 5 days" to show all available restore points within the System Restore window. If you do not see this option, every available restore point is already being displayed.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7175386_show-system-restore-points-vista.html

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:51 AM

It may be because of the registry cleaner program you have used. It may be possible because of corrupt files. You can try sfc /scannow command.

#9 Tourq

Tourq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:01 PM

zbd...there are NO Restore Points at all...

Romeo...heres the result of the scannow cmd....

http://Posted Image[/img]

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:07 PM

Have a read here: Windows Resource Protection ......Vista Home/McAfee

Look for an sfcdetails.txt file

#11 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 03:58 PM

Rebuild your Icon Cache in Vista:
A common problem when the computer was shut down incorrectly.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/117229-icon-cache-rebuild.html

Edited by zbd, 31 October 2010 - 04:00 PM.

#12 Tourq

Tourq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:48 AM

Just to let everyone know...Im working on the scannow and trying to get it to finish...it gets to about 65-75% most of the time and stops...

The suggestion to use this article...How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7...
hasnt helped much...I see what it wants me to do but i just cant seem to get it all to go. (its a lil above my knowledge) I get nothing from the cmds it want me to put in.

And as far as the Icon Rebuild...Im not sure thats the main problem at this point, with all the Lag and the scannow not able to finish I want to figure this stuff out first before i do that...UNLESS someone thinks this may be the cause of all of it...

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:26 AM

It could take a while depending on how much corruption has taken place.

#14 Tourq

Tourq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:37 AM

Icon Rebuild did nothing and I havent been able to get the scannow to finish either...Im lost ppl..guess my next stop will be the Geek Squad...hahahha...J/K!

Any other suggestion would be great.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:51 AM

Try a repair install of Vista.

If the registry cleaner has removed key files...or if such are damaged/missing for any reason...that would seem to be the step I would take.

I would also give serious consideration to the possibility of malware, based on the limited amount of info that you have provided. What other symtoms of malfunction does your system exhibit...that you haven't told us about?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users