Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Entries Duplicated Cant Remove

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scollops

scollops

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:57 PM

Hi Just joined before I start - typical always start with a question.

Ok here goes - running xp pro. I have a number of programs that startup automatically so want to disable them.. So used msconfig and ticked those that no longer exist and those I dont want loaded (these are known programs). Rebooted and they still loaded back up. I looked at msconfig and it duplicated all the entires I disabled and deleted even programs that dont exist. Ok tried it in safe mode...same thing.

Ok getting tough went to the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run - they they all are...great deleted them all. Done a quick search through the entire keys nothing else. Ok booted again - still loading up, checked registry all entries back in there. Ok deleted the RUN folder, it created a new one with 2 entries, ok I thought try that, booted and surprise they were back in again.

I have tried safe mode too, Reg healer, reg medic, Startup organizer you name it if I delete it comes back, if I disable it duplicates the things.

using Nod32 latest virus and Adaware Pro and nothing found.............HELP ????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 22 November 2005 - 06:50 PM

You can check the names of these startup entries in the BC Startup Programs database (link in the blue bar at the top of the screen) to see if they are required or malicious.
Just one anti-spyware app wont protect against all malware. I suggest you download and update SpyBot S&D, SpywareBlaster and Ewido -

Spybot Search & Destroy from http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download
There is a tutorial on how to run this here: SpyBot S&D Tutorial

SpywareBlaster from http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
There is a tutorial on how to run this here: SpywareBlaster Tutorial

Ewido Security Suite complements anti-virus software by specializing in detecting Trojans, Dialers and Spyware and lots of other stuff. It is free for private use.
Download it from here: Ewido download
When installing it untick 'Install Background Guard' and 'Install Scan via Context Menu'.

Reboot in Safe Mode and run all your scans there. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 22 November 2005 - 06:54 PM

Welcome to the forum scollops

Can you identify those programs that are running at startup and keep returning? This would be helpful for finding the appropriate solution to your problem.

If not you can download silentrunners.vbs from: http://www.silentrunners.org/
A zipped version can be found here: http://www.silentrunners.org/Silent%20Runners.zip

1. Double-click the Silent Runners.vbs to run and it will create a list of startup programs.
2. The tool will scan your system and create a log by default, in the same directory as the script.

You can post the list or anything you do not recognize if you need assistance. You can also conduct a search using the startup database here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

Edit: Rimmer posted while I was writing. He has provided some good suggestions and I recommend them as well.
Ewido Install and Scan Instructions

Edited by quietman7, 22 November 2005 - 06:58 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 scollops

scollops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:12 PM

Hi,

It doesnt matter what is actually in the startup as anything is just duplicated.

So far I have zonealarm although its no longer installed, Creative Labs volume control, dumpchk, justsched java update prog, Appoint mouse software, Nwiz Nvidia graphics utils to name a few. All normal programs even the firewall Outpost was added to the duplicates. Almost think soemthing is either corrupt or infected with a trojan/worm maybe ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users