Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Registry Fixed

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 fantasy09

fantasy09

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:33 PM

Apparently thanks to a free scan from ParetoLogic PC Health Advisor I have 777 registry errors in all parts of my PC. That would explain why it's so slow. I also occasionally get errors like unresponsive script, shockwave and adobe flash crashes. I want to know if there's a entirely free good registry fix? ParetoLogic seemed very good and it's by microsoft and verisigned so I trust it,but just like all the registry cleaners I've tried, so far, there was a catch. I have to pay. If there is not another option then of course I will go on ahead and bite the bullet,but for right now I'll love some free input from here. Also I found a free registry fix from Comodo? I have their firewall software on my computer,but how good is their registry fix? Thanks :thumbsup:

OS- Windows XP. Service pack 3

I also apparently need updates for all below.I've tried looking on the net about for some,but I get all kinds of crazy websites, and trustworthy ones like Nvidia don't even have updates, for some strange reason, for a lot of what I need.

IDE ATA/ATA API controllers

Nvidia nforce4 ADMA controller

Nvidia nforce4 Parallel ATA controller

Kodak ESP 3200 series AIO

HID-compliant mouse

Plug and Play monitor

ADMtek AN983 10/100 PCI Adaptor

Nvidia Network Bus Enumertor

Nvidia®nforce™ Audio Codec Interface

Nforce4 Hyper Transport Bridge

Nvidia nforce PCI system Management

AMD K8 Processor

Microsoft ps/2 Port Intellipoint

Microsoft.net Framework service pack 2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:42 PM

i can answer the first part of your question.
forum rules prohibit giving advice about registry cleaners or modifying programs. if they mess up, your computer can be rendered unbootable. they can do alot of damage.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:45 PM

Louis beat me to the registry speech.

Regarding the needed driver updates. What\who is stating updates are needed? If the OEM site, example Nvidia, is stating there are no updated drivers, then there are none.

Edited by ThunderZ, 29 October 2010 - 07:46 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:48 PM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Louis

Edited by hamluis, 29 October 2010 - 07:49 PM.
Sorry for the musical chairs :) ~ Hamluis.

#5 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:57 PM

there's a program called 'secunia personal software inspector' that supposedly checks your computer to see what needs updating. i haven't used it myself, so i can't vouch for it. maybe other members here can chime in as to whether they recommend it.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:03 PM

Secunia info.

A good program but aimed at programs that are known to be targets of malware exploits. Examples; Java, Flash, Browsers. Not a driver updater\all program\software updater.

#7 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:11 PM

ThunderZ,

thanks for the clarification. :thumbsup:
i also heard of a software update service at filehippo. does this ring a bell for anybody? perhaps a driver-update checker?

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:25 PM

There are many products that offer driver updates. I do not use or trust any of them.

If I am not experiencing driver related problems then I do not update them. If a new driver is needed, depending on what it is, I will go to the site for the related hardware. Examples; If it is a lap top or tower with an integrated video card then I go to the OEM lap top or tower manufacturers site. If it`s an add-on then the Nvidia or ATI site should be Ok.
In the case of a home built I start at the mobo`s site.

Can be a bit time consuming but you are getting the best chance of getting the proper safe driver needed.

#9 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:33 PM

There are many products that offer driver updates. I do not use or trust any of them.

If I am not experiencing driver related problems then I do not update them. If a new driver is needed, depending on what it is, I will go to the site for the related hardware. Examples; If it is a lap top or tower with an integrated video card then I go to the OEM lap top or tower manufacturers site. If it`s an add-on then the Nvidia or ATI site should be Ok.
In the case of a home built I start at the mobo`s site.

Can be a bit time consuming but you are getting the best chance of getting the proper safe driver needed.

pretty much the same way i do it.

thanks.

#10 ultrapeaceful

ultrapeaceful

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:02 PM

i have used a program called EasyCleaner in the past. I have not had any problems with it, but that is not to say it is foolproof. You have to be careful with any program that gets into the vitals of your OS. Good luck!

#11 ultrapeaceful

ultrapeaceful

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:04 PM

sorry if i have crossed the line in the above post.

#12 fantasy09

fantasy09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:27 PM

Didn't know there was a rule. Sorry about that. However, am I supposed to just leave 777 errors be? My computer is slow because of them, and am sick of it crashing. I know there is a risk,but why would registry cleaners, like the one I listed from Microsoft, exist if we aren't supposed to clean the registry?

As for updating, my computer manufacture has gone out of business. They were called Monarch Computer Systems. So I can't even ask them for help. :thumbsup: Oh well I guess I'll have to search the web again, and just hope I'm updating right.

Thanks though :flowers:

Edited by fantasy09, 29 October 2010 - 10:30 PM.

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:43 PM

Monarch Computer Systems

I got my CPU from them, did you get a windows disk?

The best way to clean the registry is a clean install.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:52 PM

Your problems may or may not be due to the so called registry errors. If you read the info in my post about reg cleaners then you would know that no two cleaners will report the same thing.

As far as Monarch going out of business. It really does not matter. They did not make their own computer parts. They bought parts from major hardware manufacturers and assembled the parts.

With a little research we can find out the specs\hardware in your PC. You should have gotten some kind of documentation listing the major components. If not then there are ways to find them. Then find out what, if anything needs updated.

DaChew`s idea is probably the best.

#15 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:57 PM

"am I supposed to just leave 777 errors be? My computer is slow because of them"
there are other things that could be causing your computer to be slow.

"why would registry cleaners, like the one I listed from Microsoft, exist if we aren't supposed to clean the registry?"
do they guarantee that the program won't do harm to your computer? do they guarantee that it will be totally functional? they could possibly stand to gain if your operating system fails to work after you run the program. i think you use the program 'at your own risk'.

"my computer manufacture has gone out of business. They were called Monarch Computer Systems. So I can't even ask them for help. Oh well I guess I'll have to search the web again, and just hope I'm updating right."
when you find the drivers, just come back here and tell us and we'll guide you through it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users