Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No idea what the problem is

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JesseW316

JesseW316

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:33 PM

Lately, I have been having more and more problems with my laptop. I have a Dell XPS M1710, running Windows XP Media Center Edition with Service Pack 3 (I believe, it may be SP2). There has been a myriad of problems lately, including:

Firefox crashes nearly every time I press the enter key (especially on Facebook).
Firefox freezes quite consistently.
I downloaded Google Chrome to replace Firefox, and it will not display ANY pages (it just gives me the "aw, snap" screen after displaying the page I want for a half a second).
IE is the only browser that has been working consistently, but it has been slow.

I tried to run a defrag just as normal maintenance and it will not let me. I've never had a problem with this in the past. When I try to run it, I'm told I can't because chkdsk is scheduled to run, and that I should run chkdsk /f. I try to do that and I'm told I can't, but then I'm asked if I want to run it on my next reboot. I choose yes, and then reboot the computer, but it doesn't run. I started it in safe mode and tried to run it from there, and it still wouldn't do it.

The computer, in general, is giving me more and more trouble. I had a blue screen crash a few days ago that I haven't seen since (all usb ports went out, and when I tried to restart the system I got the blue screen).

I don't know if I'm communicating the problem well enough, but the best way I can put it is that everyone about the computer just seems a little off. I feel like there is something, somewhere in it that is causing a lot of problems. I've thought about just reinstalling the OS so that I can start everything from scratch, but idk if that's a good idea or not. Other than my music/movies/etc I don't really have a lot of stuff on here that I would be losing and I can always back those up.

What should I do? I've run things like AVG, MalwareBytes, Wise Disc Cleaner, and Wise Registry Cleaner, and nothing has come up. I used to have and run Ad-Aware quite a bit and it always did a good job, but even it has not been working lately, it always has trouble starting up and then says it can't.

I feel like maybe I've just been too hard on the thing and haven't taken the care of it that I should, and now all of my tinkering has messed something up. Would a re-install of the OS really make it so that I'd be starting from scratch? I'd kind of like that, I think. I could just install the things that I know I need and leave everything else alone instead of moving things around and messing with stuff.

Obviously I only know a little bit about the technical things involved here, but I'd love all the help you can give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:05 PM

A reinstall of the OS would indeed, start everything fresh, with my XP laptop I do this at least once a year, just be advised though, if you don't back up all your files and pictures and the like you will lose them-reformatting erases everything.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 JesseW316

JesseW316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:30 PM

So do you think that would be a good idea to take care of all of these problems? And how do I go about doing it? And what is the best way to back up my stuff? I really think I would only need to back up music, movies, pics, and some documents.

#4 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:34 PM

what type of storage do you have available to put your backup on?

#5 raju50

raju50

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:44 PM

Here is my suggestion that'll keep you away from problems for all time. Use ubuntu operating system in place of Microsoft Windows. Its a free OS with no problems like those in Windows (I mean no virus problems).http://www.ubuntu.com/

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:50 PM

um ya nice advice Raju, lol not what he was asking for. While Ubuntu is virus free and a good OS, probably not something to jump into-something you want to experiment with before switching 100%. There are several ways of backing files up depending on the media you have availabe, from burning cds/dvs, to transfering it over the network to another computer, to using Jump drives.

What you might do before reformatting, is trying to uninstall and then reinstall all your web browsers (mozilla, IE, etc) one by one, and see if that will solve your internet surfing problems, but I suspect, especially if youve had this computer for a long time and never reformatted, that you are dealing with a corrupt registry, which means a risky registry repair or a reformat.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users