Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't quite install Windows XP...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Magil

Magil

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:23 PM

Well, here I am yet again, with a problem of a different nature.

Turns out I was assigned two run-down yet still functional computers at school a few days ago. My job was to take whatever I needed from one machine and transfer it over to the other to finally create one good working computer out of both of them. Everything was going smooth, and then I decided to check out the contents of the HDD to see what it had going on last time it was turned on. Had Windows XP up and running, but it had a whole slew of junk installed on it, so my teacher told me to get rid of it by formatting and reinstalling Win XP.

So I went over, popped in the CD, was prompted to press any key to boot, waited until everything necessary was loaded into memory, watched the proceeding black screen with blinking white cursor... and when I was about to get to the next screen where I would pick out which partition I wanted to install to, the screen got kind of messed up with random white lines (straight lines, not strings of text), would briefly show my available partitions and then would somehow turn itself off. But rather, I figured it went into some pseudo "Stand by" mode, 'cuz the computer itself was still on and the fans where still working... albeit at a rather slower speed.

Several of my classmates suggested that it might be overheating, and that I should look into cleaning every fan before trying again. But having thoroughly cleaned every single thing on that computer before assembling it, it didn't seem so.
Next, they told me that perhaps the Power Supply wasn't delivering the correct or necessary ammount of electricity. I went over and took a known working Power Supply from a different computer and hooked it up. The usual expected random line screen problem from before had disappeared, but still the computer would shut itself down several seconds after the partitioning screen.
So then I got frustrated and asked my teacher what was going on. Told me to grab a different HDD, hook it up and try again. At the partition screen... shut down yet again. Seeing this, my teacher made me go through like 3-4 HDDs thinking that maybe these were all causing the problem. But even known working HDDs kept provoking the same response at the same place.

I seriously don't know where to proceed from here. I've also tried using different install discs, switched CD drives (not that it might be in any case relevant), hell, I even switched all the components from the one assembled computer to the other computer where most of these came from originally, and even then it would present the same error. Noteworthy, they're both the same computer model (sorry guys, I didn't jot down the model... and I won't have access to those computers 'till next wednesday).

I hope that, if nobody knows the solution, at least someone can point me in what is making this inconvenience keep recurring and stalling me from my work. Seriously, I thought this was gonna be a straightforward job.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:37 AM

Those white lines indicate a bad video card.

#3 Magil

Magil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:18 AM

So... that's it? I mean, sure, I can get a hold of another spare video card, but what about the failing installation of Windows? As I said, it isn't limited to only one of the two computers I'm working with. It's bugging me in both machines.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:24 AM

You are dealing with Second Hand computers that could have a lot of issues with starting up and booting up and taking software.

So you are getting white lines on both computers?

How many computers are we working with here?

#5 Magil

Magil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:57 PM

I'm dealing with two computers, both the same model (can't remember the model. Will finally have access to them tomorrow.) Can't quite say if these were acquired second hand, but they were once used alot back when they were still functional. Both computers where having some problems, which unfortunately, nobody could tell me what those were. These computers where stored away for quite some time, and nobody remembered what problems they had back when they decided to store them.

Both computers were already missing several components, since they were taking out pieces from these computers to fix others. I will refer to these as "PC1" and "PC2" from now on.
So when I got these two computers, PC1 had everything but a video card and no RAM modules. PC2 had a video card and RAM, but no power supply, no CD-Rom and no HDD. I decided it was easier to build upon PC1, so I took what PC2 had and installed it on PC1. Of course, both computers where breaming with dust and trash some of the students would shove into it, so I cleaned PC1 before installing anything. Didn't clean PC2 because, well... I wasn't about to revive that one, heh.
Once everything was connected, up and running, I attempted to format PC1's HDD and reinstall Windows XP. However, upon loading the necessary drivers into RAM before the installation process began, the screen would show the famed white lines when the partitioning screen appeared. This only happened until I switched PC1's Power Supply with a different known working Power Supply. PC2 didn't get these lines at all, since I was using the same spare Power Supply I initially hooked up to PC1. But even so, both computers would go into some sort of "stand by" mode after reaching the partition screen. The computer wasn't actually turned off, but only seemed to turn off the HDD and have the computer fans running at slower speeds than normal.

One would normally think that maybe the HDDs where faulty, but I tried 3-5 different HDDs, and none of these seemed to make a difference.

So... yeah. I have two computers, and I'm trying to build a single working one using parts from both.

Edited by Magil, 02 November 2010 - 07:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users