Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to access restore partition.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PaperHeartZero

PaperHeartZero

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:38 PM

Hello,

I want to reformat my computer. I've been having a malware problem and it's pretty serious. I figure it's time for a little overkill.

Unfortunately, in my vast laziness, I never created restore discs from my restore partition. I restarted the computer and it press F(I forget) and select the option to reformat. It starts the wizard and tells me to insert the recovery discs. I'm not given any other option. So I retstart the computer again and click Start>All Programs>System Recovery>Create my Drivers-Applications CD(s). I choose the option "Burn ISO" and I get the following error.

No Recovery Partition or Update CD files found.
Process aborted.

I know I have a recovery partition but I've also been fighting that malware infection.

What can I do?

Windows XP
Media Center Edition
SP2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dodes

dodes

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:27 PM

First, could you reply with a bit more imformation about your computer? We don't know the make, mode, Windows version, etc. The more information, the better.

Basically, it looks to me that instead of restore disks (which would have been much nicer), your computer came with a restore partition pre-installed alongside your Windows partition that you can create restore disks with, using the included recovery CD-burning software.

My netbook came with a similar feature. "Burn ISO" seems to me a funny choice, though, as I've yet to come across a computer with a separate recovery partition that only contained an ISO image.
Does the recovery software give you any other options when you open it up?

Recovery partitions usually appear in My Computer. Does it have a drive letter?

Check system restore (if your infections allow you to, that is). If you have a restore point that dates back far enough, you could at the very least reduce the severity of your infections.

I've detected and removed infections from recovery partitions before, so unfortunately those aren't immune to infection. It's possible that one of the infections you're currently battling is hindering your efforts. The TDL4 rootkit is known to cause disk issues:
http://www.ghacks.net/2010/09/01/how-to-detect-a-64-bit-alureon-rootkit-infection/
As such, it may be necessary to get with a Malware Response Team member to have your system checked and cleaned before you can create a restore disk.
Windows 7 Pro x64
Biostar TH55B-HD
WD Corsair Black 500GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
G-Skill 2x2GB 1066 DDR3 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:52 PM

<<...but I've also been fighting that malware infection...>>

What...malware infection might you be referencing, please? Never mind, I looked up your log topic, with the following quote from your MRT helper:

"Though the trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS."

It appears to me that your best option would be to obtain recovery disks from the system manufacturer...or obtain an XP CD and then attempt a clean install.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 November 2010 - 02:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users