Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HAL.DLL problem

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gwhiz9999

gwhiz9999

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:06 PM

I am desperate for help. I am trying to resurrect an old Dell pc which has vital info/files on it, that had serious virus problems, etc... Whatever was done to it, it is at a stage now where it won't even boot. It is an XP, and I am pretty sure, SP3 system.

If I do not go into F2 upon restarting the power, and change the boot sequence to the A: floppy drive, all it will do is say (without even recognizing the A: drive),

"Invalid Boot Diskette.
Insert BOOT diskette in A:"

When I do change it to boot first from the A:, and I put a generic boot.ini file disk in the drive, it then says...

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

Not only do I not know how to accomplish that, but that is all the PC will do. The two cd-rom drives open and close, but the PC doesn't do anything re: them, disks or not. I can't access anything. I can't get to dos, recovery console, or anything. Is there a way to construct a boot.ini file on a floppy for the A: drive that will get the pc to boot? It appears that the only avenue I have to figure something out is going to have to be through the floppy drive. I am really hard up for help here and would greatly appreciate any assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:19 PM

Do you plan on continuing to use the PC or is your only concern the recovery of the files contained on it?
Depending on your answer may open up several options.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:26 PM

Possibly Worth Reading

Louis

#4 gwhiz9999

gwhiz9999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:59 PM

the pc is really needed to function on its own. if it is at all possible, that is the avenue needed to explore. if all efforts fail in that regard, but the data can be saved, that would be better than nothing.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:08 PM

Then I would have a look at the link provided by Louis as a first step.

If you are able to get it booted then a trip to the Am I Iinfected forum would be next.

If you are unable to get it to boot we still have another option available.

#6 gwhiz9999

gwhiz9999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:13 PM

i am somewhat confused. the link listed is to a google search. i am not sure what i am supposed to go to. i was hoping someone had some precise instructions of what could be done. all of the links i have gone to instruct people to use their windows cd or perform some other action that i cannot do. it won't boot, and it is not reading any disks in either cd drive. everything i have seen leads back to that type of stuff. isn't there some trick that can be manuevered thru a floppy via a boot.ini file or anything?

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:34 PM

There is rarely a trick :thumbsup: that will fix such matters. The cause(s) of your problem are many with just as many possible fixes.

I believe Louis`s intent with his suggestion was to read through the links. Find the one that closest resembles your problem and perform the suggested fix.

Please understand. That while BC`s Staff does everything in it`s power to assist it`s Members with their problems. It can be extremely difficult without hands on. The final action and fix is still very much in the hands of the member with the problem.

#8 gwhiz9999

gwhiz9999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:23 PM

basically, i can't do any of the fixes listed in the links on google, etc... because my pc won't do anything. it won't read any cd's so i can't try to run any fixes via that mode. changing the boot order does nothing, and i can't get the pc running in any way to get into it to try to fix anything. the only thing i have access to is the bios screen "f2", and the A: drive. is it possible to get into the hard drive by piggy backing it on a good pc, and changing the boot.ini file and/or hal.dll? those are the only specific things i have found that in any searches that seem like the problem. i just don't know what to do. i went thru the links that were suggested here, but they are more or less the same stuff that i had already found before asking for help here. i don't want to bother people, but as i said, i am pretty desperate.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:34 PM

Please do not misunderstand. Your questions are really not a bother. They are why BC exists.

Just that statements like this give us little to go on as far as where to start.

.....Whatever was done to it....

Will bring this to the attention of those more comfortable working with an un-bootable machine with an unknown cause.

#10 gwhiz9999

gwhiz9999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:13 PM

"whatever was done to it" referred to someone screwing around with anti-virus stuff, trying to fix the infiltrations it had, before it was given to me. i can't tell you precisely what was done, which is why i used that phrase.

when i just took the a: drive out of the boot loop, and it asks for the boot disk to be placed in a:, the processor LED and the cd-rom LED flash every time i press a key. apparently, it takes whatever is listed first in the boot device list as being the a:. is there anything that tells you? anything that can be done with that?

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:39 PM

Things are in the works to get the proper attention needed for you situation. Please have a little patients as the Team that deals with these situations are quit busy. Be assured that you will receive the best help by the trained Malware Staff members ASAP.

The problem being you are not the only one with a similar problem. I have requested if I may pursue other options in the mean time regarding recovering the data on the infected hard drive.

#12 gwhiz9999

gwhiz9999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:50 PM

is attempting to recover the data on the drive going to risk being able to get the pc functioning again? and i do appreciate your attention to this, regardless of what happens.

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:00 PM

is attempting to recover the data on the drive going to risk being able to get the pc functioning again? and i do appreciate your attention to this, regardless of what happens.

In the case of malware infestation, once the removal process has begun then nothing else, alterations of any kind should be made to the machine. If anything else is done then it can totally alter the removal process and even cause more damage then has already happened.

I am unsure of a time line in assistance being available to you. That is why I am in the process of checking if I can go ahead with suggestions on recovering the data.

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:24 PM

I`m back Gwhiz9999

I have been informed that your situation is definitely on the Malware teams radar.

Do to the fact that the infection is of unknown type there is always a danger of cross infection when recovering data from an infected hard drive to a clean machine. It is for that reason that we suggest you hold on till the PC in question is pronounced clean. At that point, if help of any kind is still needed please feel free to post back.

#15 gwhiz9999

gwhiz9999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:37 AM

again, i appreciate your attention to this, and i will await the additional help you mentioned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users