Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Needing some help with Netgear WGR614v7 setup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gunwitch

gunwitch

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:57 PM

hello...

i am trying to hook up a NETGEAR WGR614v7 router and am constantly running into the blinking INTERNET light. I am using a SIEMENS SpeedStream 4100 Modem,
connected through a PPPoE Miniport. I was connected once through a LAC, but that doesn't seem to work anymore, hence the PPPoE. I have tried installing
the router many times, but always end up with the blinking amber light, and No Network Detected. My lines are fresh, as are the filters. I can connect
smoothly with just the modem and PPPoE.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

bests,

brian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:00 PM

Have you asked your Internet Service Provider, there might be some special settings with their connection?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:19 PM

The SpeedStream 5100b/4100/4100b modems have integrated PPPoE client software and a corresponding Internet light on the front panel to indicate whether your modem has established a PPPoE connection to AT&T Yahoo HSI, when the modem is configured to initiate the PPPoE session.

do you get redirected to an AT&T support page that tells you that the modem password does not match the PPPoE account password? One way to fix the problem is to login into the router and goto setup => basic setting and hit the "test" button. The test always passes and the internet connection is restored after that.

192.168.1.1 default login is
admin
password

It may be something like you need to lower the router MTU, especially if you have a DSL connection. Try values of 1492, 1400, 1350 as a quick test. You could also try disabling the router SPI function (sometimes called Port Scan and DoS Protection).

PPPoe stands for point to point protocol over ethernet. With PPPoe you more than likely have to enter a username and password to establish a conection with the DSL server at the main office. While if you are using a connect that is just you Local Area Connection you are simply connecting accross your LAN with no need to contact the server first. So using the LAN is always on while the PPPoe requires user input to work (it probably also times out if your not using it continuously)

Topic in BC:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic353983.html
==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users