Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have Thinkpoint, can't get to Task Manager to kill it

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerMom930

ComputerMom930

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:36 PM

A friend of mine has a laptop with Vista Home Premium. She somehow got Thinkpoint on it. I tried to follow the Uninstall guide on here but I can't even get to the Task Manager. When you Ctrl+Alt+Del it takes you to a screen that you have to click different options. lock this computer, switch user, log off, change a password, start task manager. When I choose start task manager it will sit on a black screen for a while and then eventually go back to the Thinkpoint screen with the Safe Startup button.

Wondering if there is any other way to get past this annoying stuff. I tried Safe Mode as well. I am a computer tech and this thing is quite persistent!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 neilmac

neilmac

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:07 PM

Get a copy of Hiren's Boot CD from http://soft.softoogle.com/ap/hiren-s-bootcd-download-6916.shtml and once you have it you can either burn a copy of it or just run the apps from the downloaded folder. Anyway the app you want to use is the "ProceXP" app. It's a type of Task Manager and is way better than the regular Task Manager. & you can also try this from the start menu run Msconfig and go to the start-up and uncheck the box or boxes that are to do with Thinkpoint and also uncheck the box or boxes in the "services" section too. Then reboot this should stop it from auto-loading the software. Thinkpoint is a rogue antivirus and it's scan results are fake and meant to con the user into buying the useless software and if the user is duped into paying for the thing they will probably have a new car or boat purchased in their name too. Here is a link you may also find useful http://technology.ezinemark.com/how-to-get-rid-of-think-point-antivirus-eliminate-and-remove-think-point-antivirus-fake-antivirus-completely-how-to-remove-think-point-antivirus-16b827b6ed8.html

And you can try running system restore and picking a restore point that precedes the Thinkpoint install that is assuming you either have restore turned on or that Thinkpoint hasn't deleted you restore points or disabled it from being able to run.

If you want a good antivirus then Avira's antivir is good and for personal use you can have it for free you just have to0 put up with advertisements asking you to buy it when you update your virus definitions which is a small price to pay for what you get in return. It is by far one of the best paid or unpaid antiviruses you can buy and for firewalls try comodo's firewall also very good and free for personal use. I run both avira and Comodo and have had excellent results. And I have tried many different Antivirus and firewall apps and these two are the best in my opinion and in the opinion of many others.

In the future I recommend doing a Google search for reviews of any and all software you are either thinking of buying or installing. & if another great addon to install is WOT (Web of Trust) which is an addon to your browser that has ratings of the sites you visit and are comprised of users inputs as to their experiences of these sites. It is very reliable and free too. This way you can better choose which sites you go to or choose to believe. it's donuts range in color from green to red and grey for sites that have yet to be rated. If your friend had had WOT running at the time she would have been warned before even entering the site. Anywho let me know how things go or if you run into any snags

To all the newbies out there trying to climb the ladder, DO NOT whatever you do quit or you may miss your own success and have a great day! By Neil MacLennan @ http://tinyurl.com/Jack-n-Jill

Edited by neilmac, 29 October 2010 - 03:08 PM.

#3 ComputerMom930

ComputerMom930
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:12 PM

So when the window comes up for Thinkpoint should I go ahead and click the Safe Startup button to be able to get into Windows? She did that once and it sat there running forever and wouldn't let her close it and she couldn't get to anything. I couldn't get to msconfig, the start menu or anything, it completely hijacked her computer. So do I have to wait it out until it stops scanning?

#4 ComputerMom930

ComputerMom930
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:14 PM

I will download and burn that CD

#5 J10REEVE

J10REEVE

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 01:49 PM

I suggest possibly running malwarebytes ( An Anti-malware Program) you may have to boot in safe mode for this. ( By tapping f8 at start up just after the bios screen) i think with networking for this. It it will enable you to update it be for running a full scan.

P.S

Have you got a usb Flash Drive?
And this has nothing to do with this other members Approach to this problem.

Joe

Edited by J10REEVE, 30 October 2010 - 01:51 PM.

#6 ComputerMom930

ComputerMom930
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:29 AM

I want to make sure you all understand that I can't get into Windows at all. The first thing after entering the user password that comes up is the ThinkPoint screen. The uninstall guide for ThinkPoint says to Ctrl+Alt+Del and get into Task Manager and kill the thinkpoint process. Well I can't even get to the task manager.

So my question is do I risk it and click on the Safe Startup button on thinkpoint so that eventually I can get into Windows? She had it in at some point. She has MBAM on this computer. I have a USB flash drive and can manually update the definitions if I can just get in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users