Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Find 3rd Party Software on Mac

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bartolo

Bartolo

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:27 PM

I have happily converted to a new iMac from Windows XP and have a question about how to find non-Apple software on the Mac.

For example, I would like to know if such programs as Java, Shockwave, and Adobe Reader have been incorporated into Snow Leopard. This is so that I know which need periodic updates which may not be available via Software Update. I realize that Java is available via Software Update, but may not be in the future.

I have tried to find any associated file names with Finder/Documents, but either I don't know how to use it or Finder is unsatisfactory compared with XP's Search/Files facility .

Can anyone tell me how to search for the existence of these programs?

Thanks,
Bart

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:57 PM

In Safari Help menu > Installed Plugins will show which Flash and Shockwave versions are installed. If you search for flash player.plugin in Finder it will show the path to where it resides on the HDD at the bottom of the Finder window.

Adobe Reader does not come pre-installed on any Macs. Preview.app does and is a good alternative PDF viewer. If you want to edit PDFs you'll need to find a better program than Preview.app.

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:04 PM

Well basically everything adobe has been not installed from factory on a mac since the old days. You will need to go to http://www.adobe.com to download the programs that you mentioned as they are not incorporate nor is Apple any where near friends with adobe. :blink: The only programs that come from the factory are as follows: Mac OS (includes Time Machine, Quick Look, Spaces, Spotlight, Dashboard, Mail, iChat, Safari, Address Book, QuickTime, iCal, DVD Player, Photo Booth, Front Row, Xcode Developer Tools) and ilife pack.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 Bartolo

Bartolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 06:51 AM

Thanks to both of you. I now see that programs like Java and Shockwave come in through browsers like the pre-installed Safari and my Opera. They can be found via a plug-in check as Buddyme2 suggests.

Do you all know if Apple's file management system will delete old versions of updated software? I am thinking of programs like Flash that the user is responsible for. The Windows Secunia utility flags those vulnerable orphans for you.

Thanks,
Bart

#5 altair05

altair05

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:14 PM

yes, apple computers are generally really good at deleting outdated files when you download updates. you should see your trash buildup after a large update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users