Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Crash Issues - Hard Drive fail, start up fail

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 XaleisX

XaleisX

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:17 PM

I have a custom built PC, installed with Windows XP. Lately its been having trouble, but it is full blown rebellion as of last night. I think its probably a virus but I'm not that experienced with diagnosing.
Issues:
`My web browser (FireFox) crashes when trying to view certain things; PDF files are the main crash point
`I have a 16 GB flash drive that I have to reformat it every time I use it, which doesn't fix the problem it just lets me transfer again until I have to format it again.
`I have two hard drives that make up c,d,e,f,i,j,and k drives. When I opened "My Computer" I,J,and K:/ were missing. I couldn't see or access them.
`Its been freezing up a lot; forcing me to reboot
`(most recent)Now when I try to reboot it will rapidly switch screens from the black scanning, log in, windows xp (with the blue bar filling up), and a blue error screen. The blue error screen says to reboot if its the first time i've seen this; then it gives steps to follow if i've seen it before.

I've tried to run it in safe mode and it hasn't worked.

Please if you have any ideas let me know. Is it possible to recover my saved files? I backed up my files awhile ago but it is saved on a drive that is missing (I,J,or K) If you need more info just ask. Thanks for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cramie10

cramie10

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:45 PM

Hi there :thumbsup:
So what I gather is that you now cannot start your computer up at all, due to this issue. I'm actually unsure of the problem, it sounds to me like a Virus has been at your computer. It can't really be a hardware issue I don't think... I mean it is possible that what could have been happening is that your computer (Desktop or Laptop?) is overheating and its been damaged because of that... But that wouldn't really make sense, and also having Custom Built a computer I'm sure you'd have been smart enough to install a thoroughly capable cooling system.
It sounds to me like your hard drive has been corrupted though, BSOD usually means a pretty big issue. Thats why I was thinking hardware problem to begin with, you don't often get it for Virus's.
A couple of things we need to know:
Do you have any sort of Anti-Virus installed? If so, which one? How frequently did it scan? Did you find any virus's?
Also, how far into the boot process does the computer get before it loops? Are you able to enter BIOS settings before Blue Screen comes up and it loops? What happens when it loops?
And do you have a startup / boot disk for your computer. You certainly should do.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:48 PM

What is the error message on the blue screen?

Why do you have "hard drive fail" in your title?

Louis

#4 XaleisX

XaleisX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:38 PM

The blue screen says:
BAD_POOL_CALLER
If this is the first time restart blah blah if not follow these steps
Make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for windows updates. If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart, F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.
Technical info
*** STOP: 0x000000c2 (0x00000043, 0xDB6E5000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact system admin or tech support for further assistance.

My computer(desktop) has been working for a few years now; and the only problem it had was a virus a while back, but we cleared it and its been fine up until now. I've been using Moon Antivirus (or something like that) and it hasn't detected any viruses; (though i don't know if its because there are no viruses or maybe it just sucks and won't pick up on anything..) I'd scan it a couple times a month, but mostly whenever i downloaded something.

I can tell it to go to safe mode but it just continues to repeat the rotation.
I asked for suggestions from my dad and he said that i should probably wipe the c drive, re-install windows xp, and see if that helps. Problem is is that I don't know exactly how to do that

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:23 PM

If you have a Genuine XP CD, all your Dad suggested can be done by using it.

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Differences between a Quick format and a regular format during a clean installation of Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302686

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

You still didn't answer my question about the hard drive...if your hard drive IS failing, then a clean install won't solve anything.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users