Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D.D.S. & PEV.DAT

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fancache

fancache

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:51 AM

Hello and thank you in advance for your time and effort.

I am trying to run the DDS tool to produce the logs needed to post in the forum. I am running Windows 7 just to get that out there. When I run the tool it pops up two instances of the PEV.DAT file. If I try to close one of them it re-opens the instance again. The file seems to contain text in a coding outside of ascii. I let DDS run for a while but it seemed to be taking a while so I stopped it.

I am not sure what these files are or if the DDS application was behaving the way it should. I ran Defogger prior to running this and there were no cd emulation software running. I do run Norton AV and did not stop it prior to running DDS but I didn't see it blocking anything.

Questions I have...

1.) What are the two instances of PEV.DAT file that appeared
2.) How long does it take for DDS to run and produce log files
3.) Should I be running this under an admin account
4.) Would AV products need to be stopped

If someone could shed a little light on what is happening here it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:06 PM

Yes you should temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any real time protection programs before using this or similar tools. And yes, Vista/Windows 7 users should right-click and select Run As Administrator.

Some specialized fix tools contain embedded files such as pev.exe (a command line process checker) which create data files in temporary folders as part of the tools routine and nothing to be concerned about. Scan times will vary but should not take that long unless DDS encounters a problem causing it to hang or not run properly.

If you cannot get DDS to work, please try this instead.

Please download RSIT by random/random from the link provided for your operating system and save it to your desktop.
Link 1 for 32-bit version
Link 2 for 32-bit version

Link 1 for 64-bit version
Link 2 for 64-bit versionThis tool needs to run while the computer is connected to the Internet so it can download HijackThis if it is not located on your system. If you get a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding RSIT attempting to contact the Internet, please allow the connection.

• Close all applications and windows so that you have nothing open and are at your Desktop.
  • Double-click on RSIT.exe to start the program.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Read the disclaimer and click Continue.
  • When the scan is complete, a text file named log.txt will automatically open in Notepad.
  • Another text file named info.txt will open minimized.
  • Save the log files to your desktop and copy/paste the contents of log.txt by highlighting everything and pressing Ctrl+C.
  • After highlighting, right-click, choose Copy and then paste the contents into a new topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here.
  • Copies of both log files are automatically saved in the C:\RSIT folder which the tool creates during the scan.
Important: Be sure to mention that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable to get DDS to run. If RSIT did not work, then reply back here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users